Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a "Intro to pistol competition" course in SE TX

Detritus

This looks like the best place t put this, if not let me know

In this case I am searching for this for my wife's benefit. even after spectating at the matches I've participated in, she would like to find a class or regular place to make a more gentle transition into the sport than jumping in with both feet. And I can understand why.

She's a rather good shot, but she's never practiced or dealt with the rest of the match experience, multiple targets, movement from one position to the next, shooting on the clock, etc. though at least some of this is on the agenda for our personal range visits in the coming year. What she's looking for is a class or other opportunity to be able to be exposed to an practice those aspects of a match that currently make her nervous in an environment without the pressure of a match. how'd she put it? " I don't want to go out there the first time, having never done this before, having never walked through a stage much less with someone explaining what's what, feeling like everyone's watching me, and guy with a timer, and a scorekeeper following me! I want the chance to practice this stuff a few times where I don't feel like folks might laugh at me"

A few days back I came across info on a monthly class held at Double Tap ranch in Wichita Falls that sounded like exactly what Trish wanted. But a seven hour one way drive is a bit much to attend a two hour class, So I was wondering if anyone knew of a similar class or similar in the Houston area?

One suggestion that was made in the thread I started on another forum were the various IDPA practice/mini matches that occur weekly around Houston. Personally I'm unsure of how well IDPA and USPSA cross over as far as practice for one Discipline helping or hindering a shooter mainly focused on the other. so any insight on that front would be appreciated as well.

Any way it's late and I'm rambling

thank you for your time and any info or advice you choose to share.

I don't know if they run intro classes but check out the West Houston shooters club. I shot a 3gun match with them last spring while in Houston on a biz trip and know they also do uspsa. If you're closer to College Station, look up Cawthorn Cartridge Club in Navasota.

At worst, come up to Dallas and I can put you with a great instructor.

First off having a wife that even wants to give it a try is a huge plus so props to her for wanting to try it. Some ideas to consider:

- Can you setup many stages or even a classifier type stage when you go to the range together? If so setup something simple and let her try it.

- Work with her at home. Assuming you know the range commands (Make ready, etc) go over those with her and demonstrate what should happen as each command is given. (I'm doing this with my wife now. I'm the MD for steel challenge at our club and I don't shoot on a squad so she acts as my RO and I'm teaching her how to RO me). If you do this be patient and be prepared for lots of questions and incorrect commands. My wife actually wrote the commands on a card that she refers to.

- Do you have a timer and gear for her? If not get a timer and then again, at home, have her gear up and then you practice having her go through the range commands (No live ammo, of course).

- Are there any females that shoot the matches you attend? If so ask one if she would talk to your wife about shooting. Nothing beats a woman-to-woman perspective.

- Talk to the match director and tell him about her interest and her hesitation. It's likely he/she would allow her to shoot a stage after the match is over so that she can see what it's like to actually do it without having a crowd watching.

- Perhaps USPSA or IDPA isn't the right thing for her. Do you guys have steel challenge matches in your area? If so go to one of those matches and let her observe it. I've found that some of our club members aren't quite up to the run and gun of USPSA but standing and shooting static steel gives them a chance to compete and have fun doing it.

Good luck and let keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you located? We have a monthly match in Longview, and I attend another in Nacogdoches. I bet you can find an experienced shooter at either match to stay awhile and help you two out. The Nacogdoches club is a pretty small and low keyed event, might be a good place to start her out. The do have a Facebook page with match info and directions to the range.

I'm in Lake Jackson. An hour south east of Houston and about the same south down the coast from Galveston.

So far since I first posted this I've found a few different small scale Mini-/practice matches offered on a close to weekly basis, within an hour to 90 min drive..

Possible issue is that the local monthly matches that I'm shooting in and trying to get my wife introduced to are USPSA, and all of the weekly practice goings on are IDPA. and I'm not entirely sure how well that will cross over for smoothing the entry of a new shooter. I don't want the additional restrictions on gear and procedure to complicate matters or scare her off. Plus I've only shot IDPA once, sixteen years ago, and the experience was not pleasant (long story, some other time), and it left me with a personal bias that I am still working on overcoming/moving past.

Don't know, maybe I'm way over analyzing it all. But I just want to find the best solution I can for her comfort and enjoyment

I think you're right to try and stick with learning the game you'll play, rather than something kinda sorta the same. The rules are confusing enough for new folks in either game, I sure wouldn't want to mix them up.

Surely someone here: http://texassouthsection.com/jtssblazes/ or here: http://www.amshootcenters.com/ could help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

Ben Stoeger is putting on a class for my club December at the Pacleb Ranch in Bellville, TX. The range is a little west of Impact Zone. Info should be on the classes section of the forum.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in Lake Jackson. An hour south east of Houston and about the same south down the coast from Galveston.

I'm right up the road from you in League City (Galveston County). I belong to the Pearland Shooting Club which is basically between Alvin and Friendswood on FM528. The club has a couple of highly qualified master level instructors that could help your wife out. The instructor I take lessons from is one of the best and works with several lady shooters.

Also our club has monthly IDPA and USPSA matches. I can assure you we get lots of new shooters (including ladies) and NO ONE gets laughed at (well at least not new shooters!). When I went to my first match there everyone went out of their way to help and offer support.

Here is a link - look at the calender http://www.psc-range.com/

Another alternative is I also shoot weekly indoor matches at Big Kountry Range in Alvin (FM 1462) on Thursday nights. The matches are setup basically as practice matches, somewhat informal and lots of excellent shooters to help out. We usually shoot 4 stages and are out of there around 8:30.

Regarding cross over, several of the folks I shoot with shoot both IDPA and USPSA. Yes there are differences, but both give you the 3 Ts.... trigger time, targets and timer.

SWH