Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new PRP trigger customer questions

nitrohuck

So after more than 2k rounds (and countless dry fires) through my XDm I must say that I was really loving how the trigger broke in. By the 1k round mark it was really doing well as far as pull goes, but the one problem that has plagued me is the reset and over travel. I've hung up on the trigger after a bad reset and subsequently have "seized up" a couple of times during drills.

The above reason (coupled with the fact that I had a slight hunch my split times might improve) led me to begin the search for a new trigger kit. While the factory trigger worked great to start, I think I finally have just out grown it, feeling like I am "waiting" for my trigger to reset isn't even close to desirable, and I feel I've reached that point in my split times.

After doing some looking around, I settled on the PRP Extreme trigger. With an advertised pull weight of ~2.5lbs I am hoping that it will be comparable to my Volquartsen in my Ruger 22/45 (which has the best reset of any trigger I've yet to experience).

Here are my questions though:

1) who here has experience with the Extreme trigger?? I see tons of reviews of the "ultimate match trigger", but so far not a lot on the Extreme. Is the only real difference between the two in the pull weight? Reset seems to be excellent on both.

2) Who can elaborate on any differences in having the trigger installed by PRP vs. self installation? I've read that the triggers can be "better" when installed by the pros, what exactly do they do and what is "better" about the trigger? The video I watched on PRP was just a simple installation, nothing fancy,

3) Would anyone here recommend/elaborate on the titanium striker and status indicator? Is there any real marked improvement when used in conjunction with the trigger system? 2.5lbs (Assuming it truly is that) is pretty darn light as is, I feel like trying to go lower is just sort of splitting hairs at that point, but if those two above listed parts really make a difference in feel and quality then I would be interested.

Stoked to get this put onto the rig. I just ordered it tonight so I'm hoping to have it by week's end. I daresay after this is put into my pistol it will finally be complete! That is, until I break in and join the flared magwell bunch ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Mine came used with the match trigger and titanium striker/indicator already installed 2 years ago.

Loved the gun so much I bought a brand new 2-tone for the wife a few months later. I installed a PRP "drop-in" trigger in hers along with a SS guiderod, extended mag release and the PRP rubber grip treatment. Skipped the titanium stuff.

I really cant tell much if any difference between her trigger/pistol and mine. The only difference I notice is the grip size since she has the small and I have the med backstraps.

By the way, my gun came from Fla. and the first 30 degree match I shot with it, it would not fire untill warmed up. Make sure you do "the freezer test" after your installation.

Still love the gun! You'll be quite happy with your trigger.

JD

I have the Ultimate in my 5.25 and put the Extreme in a buddies gun. The Extreme does have a slightly lower pull. Either is a huuuuuge improvement over the factory trigger. Is it going to be like the Volquartsen trigger in a Mark II........No. It's still a striker fired gun.

I am about 400 rounds into my new extreme trigger along with lots of dry firing.

This setup is great, the trigger pull is incredibly light, and most importantly the reset is drastically improved.

Also, the metal trigger just feels better plain and simple, split times have dropped, I'm stoked!

I thought the new trigger with the built in over travel is metal? Sure sounded metal when I tapped it on a metal table... Maybe I'm mistaken,

Either way, that over travel stop is great

I thought the new trigger with the built in over travel is metal? Sure sounded metal when I tapped it on a metal table... Maybe I'm mistaken,

Either way, that over travel stop is great

Did you do the "freezer test"?

JD

Since I too live in Vermont, I can tell you that my first falure came on a 30 degree morning at an October match in N.H. Once the gun warmed up a bit it was fine. I shot my wife's with the drop-in for the first stage, hers ran fine.

Last Dec 13, considering a Jan. USPSA match, and hearing about the all the gun issues at a below zero match, I put my "freezer tested" XDM out on the front porch at 3 below for 20 min. Guess what, no fire! Back at it with the wife's nail file on the overtravel stop. 3 tries and it now is GTG at 3 below. Interestingly enough, the wife's drop-in passed the 3 below test, and I never made the Jan. match.

You have been warned and informed. Good luck!

JD