Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tricks to measure flake powder

cwmax2000

Are there any tricks to measure out the flake type smokeless gun powder? I am using a tube type dispenser, and the consistency with flake powder is not there....How do you do it without measuring each load on a scale? It takes too long for pistol rounds. I like to be exact.

thanks

Specifically which flake powder are you using? Most are a small to medium flake, but a few, such as Unique, Blue Dot and 800-X have a large, coarse flake. They should meter within +/- .2 grain; the others should meter within +/- .1 grain.

What variation are you experiencing?

Specifically which flake powder are you using? Most are a small to medium flake, but a few, such as Unique, Blue Dot and 800-X have a large, coarse flake. They should meter within +/- .2 grain; the others should meter within +/- .1 grain.

What variation are you experiencing?

Red Dot..... what variation is considered acceptable?

Edited by cwmax2000

The trick to making flake powder consistent is do the same thing the same way every time. I have a buddy of mine who cannot make flake powder consistent because he is stubborn and hard headed. He is not consistent in his actions when he tries to meter flake powder and he gets charge weights all over the place. I can go to his house and use his RL550 and make flake run like butter but he won't listen and he simply cannot make it run. Do the same thing, cause the same vibration to the measure the same way every time and you will get consistent powder drops. This works not only for flake powder but any powder you are trying to run on a progressive.

The trick to making flake powder consistent is do the same thing the same way every time. I have a buddy of mine who cannot make flake powder consistent because he is stubborn and hard headed. He is not consistent in his actions when he tries to meter flake powder and he gets charge weights all over the place. I can go to his house and use his RL550 and make flake run like butter but he won't listen and he simply cannot make it run. Do the same thing, cause the same vibration to the measure the same way every time and you will get consistent powder drops. This works not only for flake powder but any powder you are trying to run on a progressive.

So, what exactly do you do? use elec toothbrush, tap it 4 times, what? I am using single stage press...

My two biggest pieces of advice are to keep the hopper as full as possible and do not use the powder baffle. On another thread somebody spoke of hooking an electric toothbrush up to their hopper and was happy with that result as well.

whatever you do whether it's hooking up an electric motor to vibrate the powder into the rotor or just giving it 2 raps at the up and down swing of the handle, make sure you do it the same way each time. Be consistent in your actions when dispensing powder out of a powder measure and you will get consistent results.

If you are using a powder measure that has a problem metering out flake type powder no matter how you do it, get one that will. Some people use a cell phone vibrator tie wrapped to the hopper to produce more consistent results or a cheap fish tank pump. I use a Dillon powder measure on several different presses and never have a problem with flake as long as I follow my own advice.

Edited by bowenbuilt

• 2 weeks later...

My two biggest pieces of advice are to keep the hopper as full as possible and do not use the powder baffle. On another thread somebody spoke of hooking an electric toothbrush up to their hopper and was happy with that result as well

So far the best results come from 3 things ya'll posted.....1. be consistent on actions. 2. keep hopper full. 3 I used a rubber band to attach a electric toothbrush to the hopper.

I am getting very consistent powder loads.....thanks everyone, ya'll been a big help.........Cmax B)