Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RTS2 vs C-More weight

kneelingatlas

I've been interested in trying a short, lightweight Open gun and thinking about a slide mounted optic. All my Open guns currently sport horizontal C-Mores and I like the dot low on the slide and the big glass, but can't help wonder how much weight could be saved with a RTS2 type optic milled into the slide. Has anyone ever weighed the two setups side by side?

If it's milled into the slide you really need to consider the weight lost from the slide also.

Yes Steve that's what I was getting at: I know the actual sight is lighter than the C-More, but I was more interested in the net effect. Right now I have an aluminum mount and Slide Ride C-More, bolted to my frame, if I were to get rid of that, plus some meat from the slide, then add the RTS2, I wonder how much weight I would shed???

wow, I can't believe the RTS2 is only 31 grams vs 106 for the serendipity. that is quite a difference once you get rid of the mount as well and remove a bit of material from the slide. could be a decent saving. however, the previous set-up is mounted to the frame and thus not being moved by the slide. the new one is adding some weight to the slide thus adding to the inertia when it moves back and forwards.... that's the one negative I believe.

I use an RTS, the original not RTS2, on a Cheely RTS mount. I have not weighed the RTS/mount combo vs the Serendipity, but I will be taking the gun totally apart this week for an ultrasonic cleaning, so I can weight it. Also, it would be pretty hard for anyone here to estimate how much the weight of the material being removed from the slide might weigh. You could only do a before/after to get the true number.

On the topic of the slide mounted optic, I tried a Burris Fastfire on a Glock and did not like the dot moving with the slide, I felt I would lose the dot way too often between the recoil and slide movement. I also eventual got rid of the Burris.....Fastfires suck compare to an RTS....the Burris on it's brightest setting wasn't even close to an RTS on the lowest setting. Sorry, I know, off topic but I thought I would share. Ha.

Thanks Scott,

I actually bought a used gun with a Burris and sold it. Since posting this I've decided to stick with a frame mounted C-More for my shorty build, it's still going to be dramatically lighter than my current Open gun so I'll see how I like it. I don't think I can give up the big glass.

The RTS glass is only slightly shorter, but the same width as a standard C-more. I was worried about the same thing but haven't had any issues finding or losing the dot when I shoot. I mostly shoot steel challenge where the speed of the draw can win or lose a match so the dot was a big concern when I first made the switch. I haven't seen really any difference between the sights, except the weight. I have been trying to get my SC open gun as light as possible, so the RTS was my first change. Next was a shorter comp and I am currently waiting for EGW to make me a titanium comp. I also replaced the steel STI magwell with an aluminum EGW. I have the gun down to under 35oz without a mag. After this season I will be doing some slide lightening too.

I would suggest the Cheely mount since your frame is already drilled, probably with the right hole pattern. It doesn't weigh much. My experience with a slide-mounted optic vs frame mount is, you get lighter weight, somewhat better accuracy, worse dot-tracking, and shorter optic life w/the slide mount. It can be very tough to break the sight-tracking habit (from iron sights) when you see the optic blasting back & forth; you end up not focused on the targets which is slow.

• 2 weeks later...

So.....I finally got around to to weighting my RTS1 w/ Cheely mount vs. the Serendipity w/ blast shield. The Serendipity combo weighed 4.2oz and the RTS/Cheely combo weighed 3.7oz. I was surprised they were that close. The Cheely mount could definitely be drilled to take some weight off. In a few recent Steel matches I had some draws where I lost the dot on the RTS, which never really happened before with the full size Serendipity. Since I lost time in matches I have decided to go back to the Serendipity for the two SCSA matches I have this weekend and see if I have any problems finding the dot during my draws. I don't think the .5oz savings is worth losing 1 or more seconds on a SCSA run when I lose the dot on the RTS.