Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire practice help!

CE325

It doesn't matter

As long as your hands are where they need to be and you thumbs are not interfering with the slide, slide stop, safeties and etc. Yours looked good from what I could see.

Some ride thumbs on the frame. Float them straight down range not touching anything, rest the right on top of the left, etc.

As long as they are not interfering with tthe operation of the gun or putting force on the gun one direction or another that could manipulate your aim, trigger pull and etc the you should be good.

I should mention that having your weak hand thumb pointing up might be a sign that you don't have your weak hand high enough on the gun and your weak hand wrist isn't angled properly. The video explains

• 4 weeks later...

It apears to me that your weak hand wrist is straight and not locked at a downward 45 degree angle that many GM suggest.

The real question is does the gun handle well (in live fire) with you current grip and is it repeatable? Run some live fire drills with a focus on your grip that help you observe the effictivness of you grip like a bill drill for example.

Best of luck.

• 5 weeks later...

You have fast hands on the draw and reload, which is good and required. But you need to eliminate the excessive body and head movement. Example, you are bobbing your head/eye down to the sights at the end of the draw. You can just as easily bring the sights to your eye and not move your head. Moving only your arms and hands during the draw and reload makes doing them quickly easier and results in a lot more consistent performance. Dry fire facing a mirror as this is the easiest way to observe first hand the body and head movement you are introducing during these activities.

Rock Star stationary single shot draw and reload times are a nice skill to have, but that drill is a skill we rarely if ever actually use during a match. Especially when you are practicing and burning in the wrong mechanics. Watch your video again, after you draw and break the shot you DON'T push the mag release button to drop the mag. Why would you burn in the mechanics of NOT pushing the mag release to start off the reload process? Then think of the last time you had to actually engage a target with one round, perform a reload, then reengage the same target with one round all from a stationary position during match. I would venture to guess the answer would be never. I have been shooting quite a while now and have never seen a stage or a portion of a stage require the use of that drill, but for some reason people always like to dry fire it. I did it myself for a while before I realized how ineffective of a drill it was. Practicing a drill you will never experience or use in a match isn't very effective practice, especially when you are burning in the wrong mechanics of not pushing the mag release.

Do practice drawing and reloading on the move as that IS what we are tasked with performing on a regular basis during matches. Do assess your dry fire practice mechanics so they are enforcing what you need to do during live fire.

I hate to sound like I am busting your balls, but I would rather be the "Bad Guy" and get you on the right path verses let you continue to waste your time practicing ineffectively.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Thanks for the help. If ball busting is needed then go for it!

I do change up my dry fire practice for matches by moving, draws, moving reloads. I paste

targets around the house and im moving all throught it.

Are you using a timer as well?

Even a simple app with a par time would be a valuable addition in you aren't doing it yet. It keeps you're honest and helps to understand what pace you should be striving for.