Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yep...another STI 9mm mag question(s)

BigBamBoo

Hi Gang.

So I am in need of some input on STI (140mm) mags for use in a STI Edge 9X19. I plan on ordering spacers, Grams springs and followers, and maybe some aftermarket base pads....any advice on which ones is welcome.

Is there any spacers that are better then others?

Is the Dawson mag tune up kit worth the $100, or should I just try the spacers, springs, and followers first?

Any other pointers welcome.

Take care

Go with the grams guts, Arredondo spacers, & TTI base pads. There's really no need for the tuning kit. Just check your feed lip dimensions and run the mags. If they work without issues then you're golden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally prefer the steel spacers. Even they get gouged up pretty good over the course of a season and need sanded and polished. I can not imagine plastic spacers being as durable or as slick as polished steel ones.

You may want to try replacing components one at a time. This way if one of the mags fails it'll be easier to figure out what caused it to stop working. For instance, establish that the mags work in the first place with stock followers/springs/base pads. Then try different basepads and make sure those still work (hopefully you're capacity will increase by at least +1 round). Next try shooting the mags with the new follower/springs installed (hopefully the new follower increases capacity by another round or two). Lastly, change the spacer (or stick with the stock plastic spacer).

If you go with the Grams followers, you'll probably need to do some filing on the follower ledge to prevent the gun locking back with 1 rnd remaining in the mag. Brazos has a nice article on how to do this on their website.

I'm using stock mag bodies with Grams 9mm followers and spring kit and Dawson +1 basepads and can get 23 rnds in a 140mm mag. I'm still using the stock plastic spacers.