Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More e3 Chrono Data

ZackJones

I've been experimenting with different loads of e3 for my production pistol (5" M&P 40 pro). I recently switched from the Lee Auto Disk setup to the RCBS Chargemaster and wanted to test some loads charged with it. I'm kind of surprised at some of the velocity differences I recorded. I was expecting more consistent loads from it. To play it safe for the upcoming SC sectional match I may bump my ammo up to 2.9g.

The attached chart shows the following charges:

e3 at 2.8, 2.7, 2.6, and 2.5 as well as 200g Bayou with 3.0g. Xtreme plated bullets with 3.0 and 3.1 grains.

This coming weekend I'll be heading back out to the range to do some additional testing. I picked up a non-captured guide rod and some different weight springs and plan to try them with my loads. I have some 2.8g Xtreme plated loads that won't cycle properly with the stock recoil spring.

Hope this helps.

EDIT to add OAL: 1.130

post-50397-0-49872800-1399548724_thumb.j

Edited by ZackJones

It takes about 3.6 of e3 to make minor with the plated X-Tremes. Anything much below this and you will get inconsistency because the efficiency and pressure is so low.

Good to know. I'm actually looking for a super light load for steel challenge. I'm wondering if heavy and slow or light and fast is the way to go for that. Thoughts?

You might experiment a bit but the X-treme 180 and e3 is super soft with a low report. For me at least, without a comp, heavy bullets and quick burning powder keeps everything more manageable. Your gun may work as low as 3.4 of e3 but much below that and it gets iffy.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Good info. You might add OAL info. (unless I missed it.) I run 3.0 with Bayou 180s at 1.135 out of my Tac Sport for 3 gun. Great load.

Thanks for calling this to my attention. I was able to modify my post and include OAL. I load to 1.130.

• 2 months later...

Adding some data points for e3 minor loads --

SNS coated 140 gr

Mixed brass

4.1 gr e3 (+/- .1 gr, it doesn't meter super consistently for me)

5" barrel, Walther PPQ M2

(can't remember my OAL, I'll look it up and edit the post if it's significantly skewed)

Min: 981

Max: 1038

Avg (10-shot): 1005

Very happy with performance, but I suck at group shooting so I couldn't swear to the accuracy. Good enough for my USPSA needs.