Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open slid on limited frame

PKT1106

Is it possible to get a slide fitted for my Edge lower to be an Open top end for 9Major? I was having a brainstorm this evening and it seems like it would be possible.

Pros/Cons? Am I way out there?

Edited by PKT1106

Yes- it may take a different ejector (easy to swap) and should take the same slide stop (the non-45 stop should work for 9/38/40. You would either need to put up with frame holes and removing/installing a mount for the dot or use a slide mounted dot as suggested above but you definitely can have a slide/barrel/comp fitted to your frame. One thing to keep in mind if you do is that most open guns have short dust covers- the typical bull barrel+compensator makes for plenty of weight out front. You may want to consider a cone or titanium comp and or aluminum guide rod to prevent the gun from being excessively nose heavy. There are some (from what I've seen and heard, Australian IPSC shooters are one group) that seem to prefer a heavy, full dust cover open gun- you could always have your dust cover cut back if you wanted to lighten it up as well. Overall very possible!

Mike is right, the design approachs are different. I converted my CZ TS into an Open gun with the idea of a presto chango Limited/Open setup and I noticed two things:

- a 52oz Open gun is flat as a board, but steers like a battleship

- I haven't fired another round in Limited since moving to Open :)

I have no intention of moving to Open right now, I was just looking at parts on different sites and my engineering mind wandered off for a minute. My Edge weighs in at about 49-50oz with the PT steel grip and the EGW tungsten guide rod, so I am no stranger to weight.

I wonder if there is a way to have, say, an intermediate frame insert to have a "drop-in" slide that one could swap out that has everything you need? Would probably set the bore higher, but wouldn't that be negated by a good comp?