Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgon Hi-Skor 800-X

EdwinG

Anyone have any recommendations on a load for Hodgon Hi-Skor 800-X and 124gr RN (Rainier Ballistics)? Hodgon only has one recipe (seen below).

post-53181-0-13720600-1398662241_thumb.j

Edited by EdwinG

• 1 month later...

Zack just published 3.8 gr 800x, with a 125 gr BB, at 132 PF. :cheers:

I think that was Red Dot or one of the other powders. Here's my results for 800-X

800-X (4.5g)

Avg velocity: 946

Std Dev: 25.2!

Avg PF: 118

Not sure what was going on with this powder. Velocities ranged from 900 to 974. I guess my RCBS chargemaster did not dispense it very consistently.

One thing I plan to change before doing another chronograph run is to shorten the OAL. I loaded mine to 1.135 and the recommendation on the web site is 1.125.

I will try to load some this week and chronograph them after the steel challenge match on Saturday.

I guess my RCBS chargemaster did not dispense it very consistently.

This is what I am finding. My charges range as much as a whole grain! I basically have to put the primed case on the scale, tear it, charge it, and then re-weigh it to make sure I get somewhere near the recommended 5.2 grain charge.

800X is a pretty slow powder with very large flakes... sort or like loading waffles into a case (Well... ok not quite that bad but still...). So yes, this is not the first time I have heard of problems getting it to meter properly. It would seem to me that pressures would also have to be pretty high in order to fully light up the stuff, so going for the light end of minor is probably not going to work, especially with light bullets. Maybe with 147grn you could get to about 140PF with a decent ES and SD reading, but even higher would probably be better.

I spent some more time reading up on 800X and while it will work for 9mm it certainly wouldn't be my first choice :). I copied the data in the attachment from the IMR web site and plan to use this to make up some more loads tonight to chrono on Saturday. I don't know how much of a difference changing the OAL from 1.135 to 1.125 will have but it will make for an interesting experiment. In the attached chart the numbers in the top represent the starting load from the website and bottom numbers represent maximum load. I'm inclined to think a 115g bullet for 4.5g would be very soft shooting and would make a good load for steel challenge. For USPSA minor I'd look at other powders. Using the maximum published charge will make it with a little cushion but I'm not a huge fan for loading to the max. Regarding metering when I was doing the first loads for testing I don't recall there being much of a problem. I may have assumed, incorrectly, based on the extreme spread that powder charge was off when it could possibly be attributed to other factors. This aspect of shooting is almost as much fun as shooting :).

post-50397-0-68725400-1403780151_thumb.j

Those maximum power factors seem strange for a powder that rests somewhere between WSF and True Blue on the burn rate chart, and indeed in some uses would likely be slower than that. Perhaps it is the 9mm case size that resulted in such low velocities, and 800X does better in other environments. I wish they had included some pressure test figures. I don't have some of my reloading manuals in front of me, but perhaps the Lyman book or some other would give some insight into actual pressure figures. Good luck with your testing and please keep us informed of your findings.

Found something from a Graf reloading publishing. 800 Hi Skor burn speed is like Blue Dot or N350

N320 VV says 9mm Luger, .38 super, .357 special & mag, 44 mag & .45 auto. Go figure...

Edited by a matt

Weather was crappy today so no chronograph runs but fortunately my wife forgot something at the range today so we're just going to have to make a trip out there tomorrow. I just looked at that chart from yesterday and realize I loaded the 125 short. I guess I'll be loading up some rounds here in a few.