Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More CFE Pistol Data

HOGRIDER

FINALLY found time to test CFE Pistol powder. Primarily developing a load for GSSF, and as everyone knows there's very little data out right now. Decided to use the data in Hodgdon's 2014 Annual for the Hornady 147gr XTP with a tad longer OAL.

Pistol is G17 Gen 4 with stock barrel and Dawson FO front/adjustable rear sights. All rounds functioned perfectly!

Temp: 87*, brass was new Starline. Zero 147gr JHP. OAL for all test loads is 1.120". Tests were at 25yds on a Caldwell Pistol Rest shot across a Pro Chrono Digital @ 10' from muzzle.

Shot 3, 10 shot strings with 4.0grs, and all 3 yielded an average velocity of 910fps. Best accuracy/results was string #2 with:

Avg Vel: 910

ES: 18

SD: 5

PF: 134

Shot 2, 10 shot strings with 3.9grs; 1st was 885fps and the second was 886fps. Best accuracy/results was string #2 with:

Avg Vel: 886

ES: 20

SD: 7

PF: 130

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the consistency of the CFE; and as I stated on another post, metering through the XL650's powder measure was EXCELLENT!!

HTH's

HR

:cheers:

Edited by HOGRIDER

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to make up a defense load with CFE Pistol and 115gr XTP. I shot a ten round test group Saturday and I got similar results with my SR9:

ES-18

SD-5.4

Average Velocity-1287.6

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, haven't had time to develop anything for the 124/125 weights. Still working on couple of different powders with Zero JHP and Bayou coated 147s. Just not enough hours in the day.... ;)

A buddy of mine did a little testing and we needed 5.2gr with a 124 JHP out of a stock 5" M&P barrel to make Minor PF. Felt recoil was very similar to a minor Titegroup load using the same bullet, primer and case at 4.2gr.