Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ75 Shadow SAO vs Glock34

brianr34

I currently use a Glock 34 in IDPA SSP. Never owned a CZ and I am considering a CZ75 Shadow SAO (91711)

I realize if I went with the SAO, I would have to switch to ESP. Just figured the SAO version would have nice trigger and I am use to same trigger pull on each shot.

For those shooters that have used both, I would be interested in the following

--Accuracy

--Muzzle flip

--Reliability

--Performance in classifier

I agree with Andreas, I feel the safety is in a weird spot for me coming from 2011 still guns its a bit lower.. but as for the 4 things you mentioned above.. everything is better minus Reliability.. Glocks.. they just run.. but with a CZ it will run all day as well just make sure you do your yearly or bi-annual maintenance on springs and what not. But its not like I haven't seen a glock fail either when you go all crazy with after market parts :)

yeah I would have a go of someones DA/SA gun before going straight to the SAO. it may not be as bad as you think... DA/SA means no need to bother with the safety which as a glock shooter you're already used to. :)

yeah I would have a go of someones DA/SA gun before going straight to the SAO. it may not be as bad as you think... DA/SA means no need to bother with the safety which as a glock shooter you're already used to. :)

+1 The DA/SA Shadows can be made excellent, especially with a short reset trigger, but you would still have to adjust to a DA first shot to remain in SSP. The SA pull on my DA/SA Shadow is verrrryyy close to my CZ with SAO in terms of reset and weight.

A few years ago I switched from a stock Glock 22 to a SP01 Shadow with SRT. In my experience, the CZ was a step up in accuracy and has less muzzle flip than polymer guns. Regarding reliability, I would still give the nod to Glock for reliability if you totally abstain from maintenance and cleaning. For a game pistol, I've had no complaints about CZ reliability during matches.

FWIW I have both - I shot the G34 Gen 4 (Vogel trigger) in IDPA/USPSA for 2.5 years and a recently picked up a CZ SP-01 (Accu Shadow). They are definitely different, but are both good Production/SSP rigs - both capable of getting you to GM with enough practice. Both reliable. You have to clean the CZ more often, but no surprise there.

The trigger in the CZ is noticeably better - especially after the 1st shot. My CZ is DA/SA, but the 1st pull is about the same as the Vogel trigger. The SA shots are almost like my open gun - very 1911-esque in pull weight and reset distance.

Muzzle flip is a touch better with the CZ, though the G4 recoil spring coupled with the Glock grip angle seems to make it a closer fight.

Accuracy @ 35 yards goes to CZ, but again, it's closer than one may think. Offhand 5 shot comparison, CZ put 2 in the 10 ring, 3 in the 9 ring. G34 put 3 in the 9, and 2 in the 8 ring.

CZ is a nicer gun. When people told me that a Glock is a 'tool,' I didn't understand what they meant until I shot the Glock and the CZ back to back. However, I spent 2.5 years learning how to be accurate and fast with this 'tool.' For me, it's all about the reps I put into dry fire, live fire, matches, etc. I'm not at the level where a better trigger and better platform accuracy will make a huge difference - if you are, then my opinion is that the CZ has the capability if getting you an extra .5% or drop an extra few seconds from your overall.

I have plenty of time to shave off in draw, transitions, etc. :)

Edited by JPG

Thanks for the feedback JPG.

How long have you been shooting the CZ? Has the reliability been good?

Which gun do you shoot a better IDPA classifier with?

I should probably just stick with my G34 for a couple years, but I like to try other guns.

I would not be able to spend $1300-$1600 for a highly modified CZ. I was looking at the Cz75 shadows in the $850 range.

Thanks for the feedback JPG.

How long have you been shooting the CZ? Has the reliability been good?

Which gun do you shoot a better IDPA classifier with?

I should probably just stick with my G34 for a couple years, but I like to try other guns.

I would not be able to spend $1300-$1600 for a highly modified CZ. I was looking at the Cz75 shadows in the $850 range.

I got my M card shooting a Glock 34 and love that gun. I left the sport for several years and wanted to change things up a bit coming back in so I switched to CZ. On more than one occasion I have debated switching back to my 34 thinking that I might still perform better with it because of all of the years I have had on it. In the end I chose to stick with the CZ because I don't want to waste time changing too many variables on my rig, I want to get comfortable with one set up and then shift focus towards improving my shooting, not constantly trying to get ahead through equipment improvements.

PS, just sold my 34 to remove the temptation to go back.

Edited by alma

Thanks again alma for your feedback. I am going to stick with Glock for now and try and get better. I really like the simplicity and realiability of the Glocks.

I did just pick up a USA new in box G17 RTF2. I like the grip texture but my G34 with Talon granulate grips have even more traction. Only concern with Talon is I think some of the particles get in the hoster and inside the gun. Not sure if it will scratch gun or cause issues inside of gun

Nothing to exciting. Lone wolf 3.5 connector, heavier trigger spring, lighter safety plunger spring. Famous 25 cent trigger job.

I was looking some at the ZEV drop in triggers. Prefer to stay SSP legal.

What setup did you use?

I tried most DIY triggers and springs. I don't like the feel of the heavy trigger Springs. It affected my reset and I would rather have a more positive reset than a slightly lighter trigger.

I used reduced power striker springs (4 lb) and that makes a big difference but after installing one of those you should try to stick with Federal primers (or maybe Winchester if you get desperate).

I bevel both sides of the safety plunger and cut two coils off of the plunger spring. This helps to smooth out the two-stage feel of the pull considerably.

I preferred the Glock OEM 3.5 connectors when you could get them.

Installed over travel and pre travel set screws into the trigger housing.

Polish everything else.

Back when it was legal I also used an original Vanek style trigger bar where the trigger had been removed and repinned at a slightly different angle. The trigger safety was also profiled more to the trigger pad and the made some modifications to the engagement of the trigger safety to engage earlier.

Doing everything right should give you a pull just north of two pounds.

You should find some Glock friends who have had Production legal race triggers installed and see how they feel.

Let me stress the importance of having a consistent Glock trigger reset technique.

Hopefully when your shots break you only release the trigger far enough for it to reset (the loud "click") and you are not not letting it all the way out every time.