Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

did you see any difference when going from moly to coated?

i have been shooting BC molies for a few years. i bought some bayou 135's and tried them out. they seem ok, but the accuracy is not great.

I want to go coated all for 9/40/45. So those that used to shoot molys, did you see any difference in accuracy when going to coated with the same style of bullet and load?

I have been shooting moly coated for years and have very good results. One of my revolvers has about 9,000 rounds down the tube since I have even put a patch down it. No issues with leading so I just let it be. YMMV . Yea, you can over clean your guns.

I've shot both the 124gr and 125gr SnS coated bullets, I preferred the 125gr as there's has no lube groove and loaded MUCH easier for me. I too am looking at casting and coating, however I want to find a mold that doesn't have the lube groove since....well I won't be lubing them. I was going to get Bayou Bullets coating and give the a go! (but I have to get a sizer first)

I run 200 BBI's out of my 1911 SS and 165's out of my 2011 STI. I have shot them in 7 major USPSA matches and 1 major IDPA match (hose fests and accuracy matches). I have not noticed any difference in accuracy at all.The moly does decrease friction so less powder is needed. Also too much crimp can negativity affect accuracy. My boyfriend is a GM and uses the 125 BBI's in his open guns for everything but major matches. The BBI's don't clog up his comp and accuracy is same as FMJ. Only reason he doesn't use the BBI's at majors is because he is just has a thing about MG at majors.

I picked up a few thousand "moly coated" bullets from a guy off another forum cause it was a crazy good deal. Now I know why, they vary in weight by up to 11 grains and completely leaded my barrel after 200 rounds and cost me a couple stages at a level 2 match until I figured out what was going on. Talked to a buddy that shoots the BBI and his are nothing like the ones I have. I will now be buying moly bullets from only reputable sources.

Edited by Glock shooter

I have tried jacketed, moly, coated, plated and a lot of reading here on the forums. One thing is for sure, if somebody says its the most accurate bullet ever (i would exempt MG), give it a try first before going in for a case. It may be different on your gun, well, even if we say it was the same gun.

BBI is what I use now, its the most accurate. Bear Creek has decent results too but a little smoky and dirty for me. Had tried Extremes too. If you can find a local shooter that could spot you a few rounds is the best, or get sample packs from the seller if you can. Here is for BBI sample pack http://shop.blackbulletsinternational.com/Evaluation-Pack-EVAL-PAK.htm?categoryId=1