Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CFE Pistol Loads - anyone using it yet?

rtp

Picked up a few $ of CFE Pistol from Graf's along with some primers to spread out the Hazmat fees.

I'm hoping that, as a brand new powder, Hogdgon might actually try to keep some available/flowing into the system, but we'll see how that goes...

Anyone loading any yet and chrono it?

As I'm loading on the shorter side for my PPQ with MG 124gr JHPs (1.065"), I loaded a handful up at 4.4gr, 4.6gr, and 4.8gr for chrono-ing in a couple of weeks.

The powder is denser by volume than WSF, meters well, with the burn rate claimed to be right between Autocomp and Silhouette.

Post what's worked and experience w/CFE Pistol if you've got any, if not will post results once I chrono...

Loaded up some test rounds tonight.......have to say this is one of the best metering powders I've ever used! Dropped 10 test charges: 9 were 4.00 and 1 was 4.05. IMO, excellent results through the XL650's powder measure.

Initial load: Zero 147gr JHP with 4.0grs CFE Pistol, Federal Match SPPs, 1.120" OAL. Hoping for ~133-135PF.

Glock 17G4

:cheers:

Loaded up some test rounds tonight.......have to say this is one of the best metering powders I've ever used! Dropped 10 test charges: 9 were 4.00 and 1 was 4.05. IMO, excellent results through the XL650's powder measure.

Initial load: Zero 147gr JHP with 4.0grs CFE Pistol, Federal Match SPPs, 1.120" OAL. Hoping for ~133-135PF.

Glock 17G4

awesome. .......have you tried them yet?

I got pound of this and results were OK accuracy wise, I don't clean my Glock so the CFE portion is a moot point

124 Berry flat point

range brass

Win pistol primers

4.9 of CFE pistol

1.135 COAL

Avg 1060fps

6 inch group off hand at 25yd

Was able to chrono a pair of loads today with MG 124gr JHPs and CFE. Felt and shot fine, but a bit light on PF..as I load short for my PPQ, wanted to ensure no surprises before loading up many more.

You can see various MG load results for comparison w/WSF + MGs..looks like I need a bit more powder vs WSF.

iFxPO4V.png

On the WTF?!? side, I had loaded up some Xtreme 147grs with 4.0gr CFE-P, 1.14" OAL, but couldn't get the chrono to cooperate on that one, getting readings with a low of 1654FPS(!!!) and Hi of 2442(yet more !!!!, this would be a PF of 358..sorry, not buying it) across 3 shots, which felt fine but not worth messing with. Guessing the sun was hitting the sensors the wrong way, as there's just no way...

On the WTF?!? side, I had loaded up some Xtreme 147grs with 4.0gr CFE-P, 1.14" OAL, but couldn't get the chrono to cooperate on that one, getting readings with a low of 1654FPS(!!!) and Hi of 2442(yet more !!!!, this would be a PF of 358..sorry, not buying it) across 3 shots, which felt fine but not worth messing with. Guessing the sun was hitting the sensors the wrong way, as there's just no way...

Obviously, your gun (and your hands) would be in pieces if you were shooting 147 grain bullets at 2442 fps out of a 9mm PPQ.

This is interesting as CFE is a new powder and the required testing is just now being done by members of this and other forums. BE86 is another new powder I am curious about and would buy if I saw any just to experiment with. It being one of those formerly "proprietary powders" ( a Bullseye derivative as are many of those) used by major reloaders there is not any data for it that I can find. Alliant has not posted any either except to say it is suitable for 9mm, 40, and 45. I wonder if anyone here has acquired any BE86 and done any testing?

Obviously, your gun (and your hands) would be in pieces if you were shooting 147 grain bullets at 2442 fps out of a 9mm PPQ.

Absolutely. It was the end of a long day (shot a match beforehand, then chrono'd some other rounds), but the sun was coming out strong (80*F+). I don't think it's possible to do a real double charge with this powder in 9mm, and I'm loading on a LnL AP (auto-indexing), with added lighting, manual bullet placement, etc..going to pull a few rounds from that batch to be on the safe side, but those numbers just don't make sense. I stopped my chrono session at that point and packed up, vs playing with adding a target over the sun screens.

Edited by rtp

Tag.

Im hoping as well as everyone else that we have another reliable option of pistol powder. Preliminarily results make me think that I'll be grabbing some next time it presents itself.

Glock 17G4

awesome. .......have you tried them yet?

Just tested this past weekend. Posted results here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=194439

HR

Recoil was very mild and functioning was excellent.

Being excited with how well these untested rounds were functioning, it was hard to settle down and relax for serious testing!

Best grouping was in the 2.5" to 3" range with the stock barrel, and got a 2" group with the Bar Sto barrel, though the avg vel was (expected) lower than desired with the Bar Sto. Need to increase the charge a bit with the Bar Sto and retest; but I'm there with the stock Glock barrel @ 3.9gr and 130PF.

• 2 weeks later...