Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chameleon Load-Two belt - what size?

I'm a fairly small guy with a 32" waistline. I'm looking at ordering one of the Chameleon "Load-Two" belts and would like to know if the 28-shell will likely be too long for me (putting the end shells behind my arms).

Small guy: 20 shell or 28?

Get the small one due to velcro placement. I am 6'2" with 36" waist. The large fits me perfect, but is too big for my son, who has a 30" waist. The placement of the velcro doesn't allow him to make it tight enough.

I will definitely get the smaller band, but he makes both 20 and 28 shell models in the smaller belt size.

If anyone who has one these doesn't mind the hassle, would you mind giving me the center-to-center distance between the shells? That way I can determine how far around each size will reach.

Sorry, don't have both. Are you planning to use the Chameleon as your primary shell caddy, or only as an add-on when you need more than fit on your belt? If the latter, I would go with the 20, as you'll have 8 or more on your belt to start with, plus what is in the gun, which gets you a lot of shells. If it is your only caddy, you might want to try the 28 and then remove clips as necessary to get down to a comfortable size.

If you have too many clips, they can get in the way a bit, especially on slung rifle stages, or odd long-gun shooting positions. Also, you will have to shift the belt around to get to some of your shells all the way back on your loading hand side.

It will be my primary. One thing I had in mind was unscrewing a couple of the clips, however, and screwing a traditional stripper-style caddy on in their place.

I just shoot regional matches, strictly for fun right now, but almost every match has an all shotgun stage where you really need at least 30 shells. That's assuming you get the ever-present MGM spinner to go with a reasonable shot count. So I'd really be fine with a 28 shell rig plus the 9 (division capacity) in the gun. I can always put one of my eight shell strippers on my belt for those stages, though.

I guess the 20 shell is the way for me to go. Thanks all!

I have a size large with 28. At my size and all 14 clips installed, they are so far under my arms they become uncomforable and difficult to reach. I removed 4 clips and used them to make a belt caddy. At your size, you will most likely have to pull off 5 clips to make it usefull. Since they ship with one extra clip, that will give you 6 extras to make some belt mounted units. Then you will have the option to run only the 12 on your belt, which will meet most of your needs, and the cumberbun for high round count stages.

• 2 weeks later...

My belt came in yesterday I'm glad I went with the 20. The 20 is perfect across my midsection when centered. I note that some people throw their shotgun up on their shoulder to load-2 while others tuck it under their arm, upside down. The shoulder seems difficult to me, but under the arm seems fairly natural and you don't have to touch the potentially very hot barrel. Anyway, with the "under the arm" load-2 technique, The belt needs to be off-center in order to clear the stock and the distant shells are cumbersome to grab but I think I can master it with more practice!

Edited by Chris1522

My belt came in yesterday I'm glad I went with the 20. The 20 is perfect across my midsection when centered. I note that some people throw their shotgun up on their shoulder to load-2 while others tuck it under their arm, upside down. The shoulder seems difficult to me, but under the arm seems fairly natural and you don't have to touch the potentially very hot barrel. Anyway, with the "under the arm" load-2 technique, The belt needs to be off-center in order to clear the stock and the distant shells are cumbersome to grab but I think I can master it with more practice!

That difference is strong hand vs weak hand loading. Enjoy the rig.

Thought I'd chime in here as another data point. I ran the 28 round Chameleon belt back when I was a 32 waist without any issues. The last couple clips on the edges are a little tricky to get to, but definitely manageable.