Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holsters and Mag Pouches for a budget conscience IPSC newbie

helmsp

Hey guys,

first time poster but long time avid reader.

I started shooting a bit over a year and had my first IPSC tournament last week. Needless to say, I got bitten by the IPSC-virus.

I already purchased a STI Trojan and want to have some fun in the IPSC Classic division. The only tunings I have so far are magwell, loads of mags and a extended mag release. The rest will come by and by once I shoot more than thousand shots and get to know my gun.

My problem is the holster and mag pouch issue. My options are quite limited because importing from the US is quite a PITA and the European market is not that big.

Since my wife and I are trying to fund a new house and raising kids I really dont want to pay too much for the equipment. Plus, I wont be able to train more than three times a months (dryfiring at home will be almost on a daily basis though). I dont expect much in comps and really want to have fun only, ergo dont want to buy a Rolls Royce holster since a Audi will do fine.
I stumbled upon these two holsters which suit my price range quite fine:
Ghost holster stinger
DDA PDR Low Ride holster
DDA PDR Low Ride Pro holster
And these mag pouches:
Hoeppner & Schumann Speedmag (see attachment)
Couldnt find many reviews on them and none of my fellow shooters here seem to have those.
Can any of you give me recommendation? I dont really know which criteria to look for and you guys definitely have more experience.
The only two things which are important to me is:
- As low as possible. I have a relatively short upper body and hence longer arms, which makes the draw more difficult.
- I should tilt out a bit for easier draw.
Thanks a lot.
Edit: Crap, as a new member I cant link or post pics. The Hoeppner & Schuhman Speedmags are basically three mags in one and the ammo are sticking out to the side, ergo not to the front but at a 90 degrees angle.
Edited by helmsp

Any of those holsters will take you very far.

As for pouches I have no experience with that company but if you can get your hands on a DAA holster I'm sure you can find their pouches as well. The single stack racer ones are fantastic for classic division.

Good luck and have fun in our sport.

Thanks a bunch for the great tips so far and sorry for writing back so late, lots of work and wife is sick.

I followed Mike21STI advice and checked out the mag pouches from Ghost. There is one where you basically have three mags and two magnets on one clip and thus, safe space and money. Is that setup legal in IPSC Classic?

I'd get the hoppner mag pouches with a spacer between the pouch and the tek lok belt attachment (super glue the spacer to the pouch and belt attachment.)

For the belt, DAA.

For the holster, Blade Tech.

You aren't going to save a lot of money by trying to go cheaper than the above...and you aren't going to get any better by spending more.