Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many shells in an M3000 with 24" barrel?

Chris1522

I run a 26" with a +6 extension that runs flush with the barrel, it's my one regret with that gun that I didn't get a +8 instead. Having the option to load 12 in the tube is a nice advantage versus 10.

Heh, no doubt...but then again where do you stop?

I really want nothing longer than 24" and yet most competitors (far more skilled / knowledgeable than I) are running much longer guns, but I also really would like to have at least 10 in the tube (logic being that I can "load-two" right into the tube as the buzzer goes off).

So I guess 26" with an equal length mag tube is my best bet for now. I could still get the 24" and run the +6, but it really doens't gain me anything.

Edited by Chris1522

I run an 18.5" Benelli M2 tactical with a +8 tube (for 11 rounds) and am about to add a +1 end cap so I can load 12 in the tube without loading the carrier. There is no functional problem with your shotgun having almost any feasibly sized “underbite” you can manage in a dump barrel. Well, you will get some carbon build up on top of the mag tube, I guess, and it is a little hard to clean, but in 3k+ rounds I have yet to put a pellet dent in my mag tube. :)

An that ends up being roughly equivalent to a 32" barrel, no?

Haven't measured it, but I am sure it would be over 28". The way I look at it, I am just saving some weight on the muzzle end!

(I do keep a Briley 6" barrel extension around because my local trap club has a 24" minimum barrel length requirement. One does get funny looks practicing report pairs with a 12 round M2 Tactical, loading for the second bird off a MatchSaverz! :) )

loading for the second bird off a MatchSaverz!

Well that is just damned impressive! :goof:

I'd really be worried about length! Maybe I shouldn't be.

I really didn't want to go over the 24" mark, that's already quite a bit longer than my girlfriend's 930 SPX I'm used to shooting!

I will stick with the 26" barrel for now. Maybe get the MXT coupler and another +2 tube. That way I can run 10+1 or 12+1 but then again that's mo' money mo' money mo' money...

That's basically what I'm shooting for. You're a brave man to put all that money and work into a gun you hadn't shot yet! I think I'll be waiting before I lay down the cash for the various parts.

Did you do the port opening yourself? Glad it runs well. Anything that cycles Winchester Universal should be reliable enough to meet anyone's standard!

Also, I shoot long guns left handed. Would the extended safety be of any benefit for me?

Edited by Chris1522