Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice needed on open glock project

thatgrittyguy

Ladies and gents,

I've been lurking around, but not talking much. It's about time I post something.

I'm working on an open gun for shooting steel challenge. Here's my setup thus far:

G34

Lone wolf threaded barrel

Carver 3 port comp

11 lb ISMI flat spring

Dawson ICE magwell

Sevigny Competition sights

Glockworx trigger spring kit

My reloads are :

146 Power factor

5.3gr of HP-38 / W231

1.153" COAL

115gr Berry's plated

CCI primers

I've got a few issues and would love some feedback.

1) The comp doesn't seem to be much benefit. The gun loses reliability around the 125 power factor range,so I like to keep it above 130. Should I step up/down the power factor of my current reloads? Different comp? I'd love to get some autocomp powder, but it's not around in my area.

2) Red dot options. I like the look of smaller, reflex style sights that are milled into the slide. Delta point, RMR, FastFired, etc... Is anyone using those in competition though? Seems like it's all C-More. Any concerns with having the sight on the slide, or is it not a significant factor? I would expect fixing it to the frame would make the dot easier to track, but I don't really have first hand experience yet. Anyone have a favorite frame mount to recommend?

Any advice on this would be very helpful.

Help me Obi-wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

Are you going to always shoot minor? I just started shooting open with a G17 this season but its my understanding that the more gas to work the comp the better. Im pushing 115gn bullets to 1500ish fps.

When i was building it and shot it with just the comp and no dot it was really clear that the comp helped keep it flat. Is the powder your using a good match for open?

• 1 month later...

If you want to shoot minor you'll need the lightest spring which will strip the next round out of the mag. The comp adds weight to the barrel as well as keeping the action locked up longer, dissipating more energy which would be used to cycle the slide.

Unfortunately powder is still hard to get and the comp will have very little effect until you get a slow powder up around 150PF. Open minor is tough because you need gas to work the comp. The best way to do it would be to use a case full of powder which is a little too slow to make major like Longshot or N105.

The other way to go with Open steel is to remove the comp and shoot mouse farts with a dot. I load 3gr of Clays under 115s for a PF under 100, an 8# recoil spring and the light bullets keep the action moving fast, but it's very soft; the dot just bounces from one piece of steel to the next :)

Now if you want to shoot Major with your Glock you'll want to find one of a select group of powders: HS6, Autocomp, Silhouette, 3n38.

Kneeling, are you loading relatively short for 9 major? I haven't had any problem making major in 9mm with longshot. Granted there is a relatively narrow window because it really doesn't like to be compressed but it will work, and works well for me. Just some extra data.

Kneeling, are you loading relatively short for 9 major?

Yes, I shoot mostly small frame CZ and Tanfoglio Open guns, so the max is ~1.165"; once I get my large frame Tanfo up and running I might try some .38 super mags and load some 1.2"+

I really only played around a little with Longshot because I had a friend who needed WST so I traded for a pound. I have a bunch of SP2 and HS6 which works really well @ 1.15".

• 3 months later...