Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag extension REALLY tight...

FishnHuntIN

I picked up some Taylor Freelance M&P mag extensions this week and had a question for y'all. I put together one last night, and the basepad was ridiculously tight going on to the mag body. So tight that I had to tap it on a table to fully seat the basepad to the body. Anybody else had an extension this tight? I hear a lot of guys talking about cleaning mags between stages, there is no way this one would allow me to do that. My mags aren't very old (less than 6 months) and have only been through one 3gun event and a few range sessions. Don't have issues with the mags not dropping free, so the mag bodies aren't too far out of factory spec. I'll be using all Smith & Wesson factory mags.

So what do y'all think? Seen or heard this before? I emailed Taylor Freelance about it, looking forward to their response. I thought I'd throw it up here as well.

Make sure you load the mags up and see that they hold the extra rounds. There is a commonish issue where the back ledge catches the follower. All 4 of mine did it. The fix is in the instructions.

I did do that, I'm getting +5 (22 rounds of 9mm). Guessing I'll have to mod the follower to get +6.

I messed around with the extensions more last night, and I think they'll be alright with a little use. Taylor Freelance said to take them on & off a few times to loosen them up, which seemed to help. One mag was really tight (first one I tried, go figure), so I grabbed a different mag one and it fit considerably better. At least I feel I can get them off if need be. Thanks for the input y'all!

The TF basepads are not designed to be easy to remove. Use caution with the screws or you can start stripping threads in the basepads. I have a number of them and I'm a big fan. If you want easy to remove, look at the TTI extensions.

• 3 weeks later...

I had got 5 and 1 was really tight on any mag body I tried it on. It would not go all the way on until I filed the slots on the extension and even then it was very tight .... So I guess its a 20% fail rate. Hope my next order

hits a perfect score!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I whap them on my bench to get them to seat. No real problems, and they have been through a ton of use. Once the springs wear in you should get 23 no problem.

Yeah, I can get mine on by hand now after working with 'em for awhile. I'll be interested to see if the springs in mine wear in that much. Not a big deal for me yet since I'm not really good enough for one round to make much difference, lol.