Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Characteristics of major PF or worn out brass.

So my question is in regards to range brass. I just started reloading .38 super. Not for a race gun, just for fun. I learned long ago to not pick up 9mm brass after a USPSA match that had open category shooters. I have some .38 super brass from an unknown source. It looks OK but when resizing some of them seemed to buckle a little near the mouth. Would this be sign of worn out brass? Sort of a wash board effect.

Thanks,

Roger that Top! I use Hornady One Shot. I sprayed my brass the usual amount but I plan to use more next time and spray the die too. They are brand new dies.

Just to be clear (can't believe I am doing this), but should we assume Hornady One Shot case lube (versus the Gun Cleaner)?

RDA,

I didn't know Hornady made One Shot gun cleaner. Yes, One Shot case lube.

Yesterday I did some more resizing with more case lube than before. I did pre-lube the die as well. No buckling or wash boarding of the brass. Some resized effortlessly some took effort but at least it was slippery effort..

What should one look for regarding over used brass? Are there tell tail signs? I reload lots of 9mm and .38spl and I have no trouble finding one fired brass lying around. .38 super not so much so I find myself trying to use what I can find. I just bought some that I haven't tried yet, supposed to be good condition once fired but we'll see.

You may see a line just above the base, sometimes it is very shiny, some I have loaded will then shave down to a bulge, scrap them. Look at the primers very hot loads will be flat, no rounding and almost no line visible between the case and primer, these will size harder and MAY fail early. As previously mentioned look for splits at the mouth.

This is a rifle trick, but will work. Take a piece of wire (paper clip) and put a 90 degree bend on the end about 1/8th of an inch long and run this down the inside of the case. If you feel a small depression in the case wall just at the top of the radius at the bottom of the case which extends all or mostly all around the case, you are about to experience a separation.