Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

can a poor man's Czech Mate be built?

Travis224

And if so, 75 SAO with a new barrel and a comp, drill the frame for the cmore mount? Or buy a TS and do similar work? I am only going to use it for USPSA and ProAm..I have other guns for other matches.

Definitely doable, I believe there are a few gentlemen on the forum that have done it.

If I were to build one I would start with a 75 SAO.

Edited by Czhase

I'm on it!

I already turned my TS into an Open gun:

IMG_20140319_224820_505-1_zps6xg9lhhw.jp

And I have all my parts collected to make my Czechmate:

CZ-Czechmate-Open_zps41297b2f.jpg

Here's the thing about the SA 75B 9mm: the barrel OD is 12.75mm and the Czechmate, TS, SP01 and Shadow 9mm barrels have an OD of 14mm.

For each of my CZ Open guns I've used an SP01 slide with a TS barrel.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Had a couple of small frame EAA witness pistols set up with comps, Basically a CZ75 clone, back in the day. They were chambered in 9x21, I suppose now you could just do 9mm major as that was over 20 years ago. Seems like they have fallen out of favor but I'm not sure why as they worked great. Maybe becuase EAA service is an issue.

What would the trade off be between the TS or the 75SA? Obviously the barrel diameter..but what else? What mods did you have to do for the slide and barrel from the sp01 to fit?

No mods, the SP01 slide swaps right in. The reason to use a 14mm barrel is because for an SP01 an extended barrel is just a TS barrel (easily obtainable) but for a SA 9mm, you have to find a 12.75" OD 6" barrel (they come available from time to time) and cut it down, plus use a 1/2" thread comp. There are some 14mm comps which match the CZ slide profile, but none in 1/2" I'm aware of.

The TS big stick holds 29+1 and my standard frame big stick holds 28+1 for what that's worth. Also the TS serial number is near the end of the dust cover, so you can't cut much off without losing it.

Edited by kneelingatlas

The TS frame is larger grip diameter than 75SA. And FWIW - the actual Czechmate has a pretty substantial grip reduction IMHO, with the thin metal grips, its about the same grip diameter as a SP01 Shadow with rubber grips.

I do have a P09 right now, and is my first CZ, but I'm around them in competition and like their feel, and price point. The CZmate was exceptional in feel and natural point ability. To build something similar is my goal, I shoot other guns but for USPSA, it seems like a CZ open shooting major would have a ton of benefits..

There is another option, you can save time and alot of money by going with a ported barrel. I put one together like that and the only negative was that it doesnt shoot as flat as a comp but the dot still stays in the A zone and comes back down very fast. So then the question becomes how flat does it really need to be to shoot uspsa? I have some very flat open comped guns and the difference isnt all that great for me. Just thought I would throw that out there :-)

Ps. There is a clip of a GM using a ported barrel in open, he explains it much better then I can. Sorry I dont have a link.

Edit to add, all ported barrels are not created equal...

Edited by Rick88

I do have a P09 right now, and is my first CZ, but I'm around them in competition and like their feel, and price point. The CZmate was exceptional in feel and natural point ability. To build something similar is my goal, I shoot other guns but for USPSA, it seems like a CZ open shooting major would have a ton of benefits..

Do you plan to do this work yourself or to pay someone to do it?

Because like Gigglemonkee said, if you're going to pay someone else to do it it's not going to be cheap. I do all my own work and do so because I really enjoy the creative outlet. The czechmate was the first gun I wanted to buy when I first started shooting USPSA, but to tell the truth I was scared to roll up to the line with a $3,000 gun and make a fool of myself, so two dozen or so pistols later and somewhere in the neighborhood of $30,000 I still can't bring myself to buy one, so I'm building my own :eatdrink: My biggest motivation is just doing what very few have done before (I though I was the first until I saw the one Angus built :blush: ). I'm hoping to shoot a friend's Czechmate in June and who knows, I might just buy one anyway! :cheers:

Edited by kneelingatlas

My biggest motivation is just doing what very few have done before

Same here, and I love it when I have a smoking run and people say what the hell kind of gun is that. I have yet to see or hear of anyone shooting a Canik Shark Clone in open major but myself and I'm having all kinds of fun with it, dollar wise it is a poor mans open gun but if I had to pay for all the hours I had it on the bench it would have never been worth the cost. :-) :-)

post-40490-0-57411200-1397068556_thumb.j

My low round count used Czechmate was $2800 FWIW.

The parts to make an open CZ75 are not bolt on / plug and play like an open Glock can be with parts, but before tuning.

Stuart and John and others have been nice how they say no to my crazy requests similar to yours that would cost a ton w/o me being able to tune / maintain it maintain it myself since I'm not a gunsmith.

But if you decide to proceed, PM me, I might have some parts you can use :-)

If I were to build one I would go with a TS. You are going to have to work over the top end anyways. If you have enough talent to do that and don't like the grip then grinding off the waffles shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I'd cut the slide and frame back to the serial numbers and thread the barrel. Then I would make a steel cone bushing and a titanium comp. Maybe add some racing holes and slots to the slide. CZC for some ignition parts (because who wants to deal with a stock 2 lb. trigger), and mag extensions. Buy or make a c-more mount. Boom! done

Damn Ryan, you make it sound easy! :roflol:

Did I forget to mention I work a little bit with CNC stuff? I do a lot of one off stuff for a living so when I get off work I kind of check out when it comes to making things for myself. I like all the stuff you do. I also enjoy the thread OG has going with the hobby stuff. But after a day of making things work I would rather just hit the couch and live vicariously through you guys.

I would also buy a czechmate first so I know what I'm up against. No use building something if someone already builds something better for the same or less money.

Plus czechmates are awesome. :)

Edited by leas327

... actually I got the used Czechmate for $2625 on gun broker ... my memory not so good in my advancing years.

> parts

I'll send you a PM :-)

Edited by trgt