Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M2: Bolt Sticking to the Rear

CJW

My g/f's M2 has an intermittent problem where the bolt will hang up at the back of the cycle. It definitely does this when hand cycling the bolt and riding it forward, but it also happens during regular firing as well. It has done this pretty much since she got it and, while the problem eased up some after the gun was 'smithed for 3-Gun (lightened bolt, out-of-battery loading cut, carrier loading cut), it still happens sometimes. It is generally cleared by either racking the bolt back (a very small amount since it hangs up most of the way to the rear) or knocking the bolt handle forward to complete the feeding cycle.

I know I've seen people mention this issue before. Is there something on the bolt/carrier that can be filed or otherwise tweaked to deal with this problem?

Thanks!

new mag tube spring - easy peasy.

How would the mag tube spring affect manually dropping the bolt on an empty gun? I know the mag spring can cause issues during cycling, but this seems to be a problem of the bolt/carrier physically hanging up somewhere near the back.

Apply some light grease to the tip of the little lever that controls the lifter. With the bolt in battery look in the little slot where the bolt handle travels and you will see it. The bolt catches that on the rear stroke to cycle the lifter and if neglected can cause unwanted friction.

A lightened bolt will be more susceptible to this because you have removed mass therefore your bolt carries less inertia through the cycling process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that this is caused by you front sight screw being too long, which binds the action due to undue torsional differential in the bolt tail.

CJW I am going to pm you, there are three causes for this and all very easy to correct. Good news is you wont need a mag spring. :)

I'm pretty sure that this is caused by you front sight screw being too long, which binds the action due to undue torsional differential in the bolt tail. [...] :)

Damn. And I really liked that front sight... :roflol:

Thanks, Kurt!

I'm pretty sure that this is caused by you front sight screw being too long, which binds the action due to undue torsional differential in the bolt tail.

CJW I am going to pm you, there are three causes for this and all very easy to correct. Good news is you wont need a mag spring. :)

come on share with us all...

Hahahahahahahaha :roflol:

I was experiencing this when using cheap walmart ammo in my M2. I had a suspicion that steel hull did not contract fast enough causing drag on the whole system, removing some of the momentum of the bolt that it needed to complete the cycle.

I changed to better ammo (Winchester AAs) and haven't had an issue since.