Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Focus - Concentration - Awareness

Overhung

Reading the BE Bible right now, and yesterday, my training partner and I ran through the IDPA classifier a couple of times. During the third stage, when one shoots from one side of the barricade, rwr or tr, shoot from the other side of the barricade, I was having problems with the grip. More later.

But as I was in the process of shooting a little better, i flubbed a reload- kept flubbing it- this is a new gun -for me- without a magwell- 9mm 1911. I kept having problems of mag lip and well lip over lapping. I just have not been practicing so the form is a little sloppy. But as I was doing it, I was talking myself through it, or really thinking out loud. Nothing linear, but vocal coaching such as "Come ON!' "You can do it!" or even, "You dumb mother-f#$%%er"

My partner thinks that my talking may be holding me back from better reloads- due to lack of focus. I disagreed, but since I am having problems and he is a couple of levels above me (currently), I have been thinking about it.

Refering to the first couple of chapters in the Book, I do not think I am losing time as I am aware of what I am doing, but lacking (due to practice laziness) physical accumen to slam the mag home at the first try. I do a lot of physical competition, training and usually talk while I am in the zone- I really don't think about what I am saying- the feminine vox organ must take over- and I feel that it helps me.

In your guys experience, in something that involves mind as well as body, has anything other than lazer beam eyes and determined look on your faces- even if it is fake- helped. Should I practice practice practice and execute as I am programmed, or practice practice practice and try to shut up?

Control is what I'm looking for when practicing reloads. Reloading is like reading. If you go too fast you'll start skipping words and you have to go back ;) Experience everything you need to in the reload. See the magwell, feel the way the mag is positioned in your hand etc. Analyze the reload, and focus on the things you do right. Also, see where you screw up and find out how you can become consistent in those areas. As for cursing yourself: I have never found that useful, because you are not helping yourself. You're teaching yourself that you can't do a good reload. Instead, try being positive after a good reload B)

Focus on the good things, find solutions for the bad things :)

it's been said on here many times, but the reload is an area where *a lot* of practice really helps. Do 300 or so reloads (not just the standing static one, on the move, standing up and kneeling down, while changing barricade sides, L2R and R2L etc asf...) every day for a week or 2 and you will already see marked improvement. As spook points out, control is the key. You're looking not for one or two blasting 0.8 s reloads out of 10 (and the rest fumbled...), but you're looking to do consistent, say 1.5 sec, reloads *every time*! Record the time of the worst of 10 reloads, the one that would cause you to blow a stage at a match, and strive to improve that time with practice. The worst one is really the performance indicator that you're looking for. The next best one is the average. Most people take their best as indicator, big mistake....

Talking out loud or silently is a mistake you need to get rid of. It takes away from your attention on the task.

--Detlef

The inner-voice (especially negative) usually means you are trying. Do a couple dozen just watching what you're doing, slowly if you want, but the whole point is to detach yourself and just watch what you're doing.

But as I was doing it, I was talking myself through it, or really thinking out loud. Nothing linear, but vocal coaching such as "Come ON!' "You can do it!" or even, "You dumb mother-f#$%%er"

My partner thinks that my talking may be holding me back from better reloads- due to lack of focus. I disagreed, but since I am having problems and he is a couple of levels above me (currently), I have been thinking about it.

Next time you practice reloads, or, anything else for that matter, tell that voice in your head to shut up and let you pay attention to what you are doing. As Brian mentions in the book, let the seeing teach you without judgement. As you begin to learn a new skill you are not actually practicing. You are studying and learning a new movement. This should probably be done rather slowly. After many attentive repetitions, when the movement begins to be more perfect, then you practice the perfect movement with many attentive repetitions. When you realize that voice in your head is running a commentary on what you are doing, or should be doing, feel free to tell that voice to shut up and let you pay attention.

If you were the type to break an activity down into bite sized steps...the reload would have about 4 steps.

I think you are looking to skip ahead...right to step 4 - slamming the mag in.

You might try, in practice, to skip that step entirely. Do everything up until the point of actual inserting the mag. Bring the mag right to the very point of insertion, then stop.

Oh...and your eyes probably should be focused right on the seem in the magwell. (look the mag in)

Be loose. Tension screws up reloads.

When you do go to fully completing the reload, build in a little "pause" right at the point of insertion. Do this even in the heat of competition. This will allow for a sure reload. The pause might seem like forever...if you are truely aware, and paying attention...but, it will actually be fast.