Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement handguard for M4

D.Hayden

I have an M4 like 16" AR that I want to use for night matches only (for right now), just because of the light weight, and I won't have to worry about taking the laser/lights on and off my normal AR

I'm a complete rookie working on these, what's a very painless handguard I can install to replace the normal clam-shell M4 plastic guards with? I'd like a one-piece aluminum guard that is a little better secured

I'll need to attach rails to it to hold the light and laser

I have a JP low-profile gas block on it now, but if I need to swap that out I can

Thanks.. Dave

Check the Magpul options if you want one that uses the mil-spec attachments.

Edit:

Didn't see that you wanted aluminum.

Lots of options. What do you like?

Do you want two keep your mil-spec barrel nut as a requirement?

Edited by alma

Looks like the Samson Evolution handguards use the mil-spec barrel nut so that might make it easier. It isn't hard to change the barrel nut either if you see another one that you like.

Thanks those look pretty good. I've used the JP on my normal rifle.. anything else seems foreign, but easy of installation will win here

I'll have to check of this will fit everything: Samson Evolution Series 10"

I'm a little worried about the amount of flex in the plastic handguards affecting the point of aim of the laser, if it's anything like the M4 guard on there now, that's why I was thinking aluminum

Your experience is the opposite of mine. I couldn't get the Troy Alpha to secure properly, so it went back.

The Evo fit perfect, and also feels better to me than the Alpha.

Personal preference, however...

Mick

Samson Evo, Troy Alpha both use the stock nut.
I had the Evo, have an Alpha now. Attachment method on the Alpha gives me way more confidence in it.

JP gas block won't fit under the guard.. so I'll have to shoot it this way for the next match, I don't want to change this much just before the match, then start the switch ..

This way, I can wait and see if Brownell's will have a discount code by then too