Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurizing SIGs?

Grump

Searched the Net with Google last week and found nothing describing any techniques or mods. Grew up around Bullseye so I'm familiar with the subject with 1911s, right down to how slide to frame fit is grossly over-rated.

Not finding anything here in the SIG sub-forum on accurize, accurizing, or accurized, either.

Other than fitting a replacement barrel, I have exactly two ideas on what can be done for SIGs, but I want to see what is out in our knowledge base before venturing off into what looks like largely uncharted territory.

BTW, every gunsmith's site I looked at that mentioned SIGs listed *reliability* enhancements, nothing for accuracy other that selling and installing barrels.

Looking to improve on 3-inch sandbagged groups at 25 yards. Would like to get 1.5 inches or smaller. 9mm, I understand the importance of quality bullets like the Hornady XTP. Nosler 115 JHPs have proven equally accurate in this two or three pistols.

So what have you done, or seen done, or at least heard about, that makes a positive difference for improving SIG accuracy other than buying a P210?

Even interested in things tried that did not make a difference.

Well, a properly fitted BarSto barrel will help a bit. Other than that there really isn't much else to do. I currently own 19 SIGs and the least accurate of the bunch will do 2" at 25yds with good ammo. My 4 9mm X5s will shoot less than 2" at 50yds.and my 40S&W X5 will shoot just a hair over 2" at 50yds.

If you can't get better than 3" at 25yds I would guess that you may have an ammo issue.

I would suggest you give Bruce Gray at GrayGuns or Gerry at Total Automation a call.

Slicking up the trigger is a good start, the only thing I found to enhance the accuracy of the P226 9mm is to re-crown the barrel that has helped every one I've done. Some had a great effect some just made the groups rounder.

curious, what discipline are you planning to shoot your SIG in? I have 2 9mm P226s that group around 2.5" at 25 off hand. As good or better than I can do with any of my custom STI Limited guns. One gun had the SIG AEP package and the barrel recrowned, which seemed to help a little. Probably was the trigger job and the SRT trigger which cut the groups down.

quite happy with the accuracy from the factory. If only the driver can get his head out of his ass....

What SD are you getting with your loads? I have noticed quite a bit of difference in standard deviation with just a few tenths of a grain of powder, but I've been able to find loads with SD <10 for 20-shot strings using both 125gr JHP MGs over Titegroup and 147gr LFP Precisions over Universal. Velocity consistency can also affect accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, all.

Will look into the powder article. But here, V-V powders are more rare than powder itself. In fact, I don't believe I have EVER laid eyes on any of that particular one.

I am actually interested in maybe using the SIG in Conventional Bullseye, where you really want to have a 2.5 inch group at 50 yards. That group in my Avatar is with a tuned .45 at 50 during some load development last year, iron sights, bullets I cast myself. So, I know that I can identify an accurate load off of the sandbags with irons.

My reject bullets get shot at brown and at steel, usually 25 yards and closer. Do a few Bill Drills once in a while, need to do some reload drills, and of course my slow draw. But hey, I can get a D hit or better at 100 yards from the buzzer in like 3.5 seconds... No head shots that far away though with the handgun.

Back in 2000, when I had a stock, German 226, it would shoot between 1"-1 1/2" at 25 yards.

I picked up an Allround a while back, and it is a LOT more accurate.

My eyes don't allow me to shoot decent groups at 50 yards with irons. If I could figure out a way to mount a scope, I could give you a good evaluation.

Although I'll use VV320 in 9mm, when I can get it, I think Titegroup, or AA#2 are both a little more accurate.