Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Length Question

dbletap_ed

• 2 weeks later...

For what you described, not a lot of anything. You get a bit more velocity, but not a whole lot. Now, if you started saying things like 'I want to shoot to 1000 with a .223' or 'iron sights' then it would be a different story. My .223 for F T/R wears a 28" tube so that I can eek every bit of speed out of an 80gr VLD - and it's set up so I can throw some iron sights on there for a high power match if I get bit by the bug - very specific needs that point one at a longer barrel. For fun shooting off the bench though - going long doesn't really get you much of anything but a heavier rifle and a longer rifle case to carry it in.

Unless it looks cool :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is some gain when you go from a 20 to a 24 or 26 and switch to a slower powder but its not all that much. You are likely not to see a practical difference between a 16" and 22" barrel other then some weight.

Do you not think that he would see a velocity gain from the longer barrel?

depending on powder you can lose velocity w/ a longer barrel.

Unless you're good enough - & I ain't!!! - 20' max will do anything you can do.

A .223 is a .223 no matter what...you want to go out to 1000 yards? First go to a 1000 yd range and actually take a look at what you're talking about. After the shock wears off, go to the loical gun shop & get a .300 Win mag - minimum...

I'm a .308 guy but the .300 willl get you there MUCH easier!

To be clear, yes, more barrel will give you more velocity. Most of the ammo companies have done a good job with their component selection so that there is not much velocity gain / loss from 20-16" Barrels. Practically speaking, you are not going to see much difference in wind drift between a 77 at 2550 and 2700 fps, or about 4-6" in at 500 yds or so. So, if your not shooting past 300 yds or so you are not likely to see much difference between 2550 / 2700 (77) or 3050 / 3200 (55). If you are loading long 80g bullets in a 24-26" barrel you can milk a little more velocity with some of the slower powders in the long barrels. If I recall I was getting 2700 FPS with my 80's from a 20" and a buddy was at 2850 from a 26", or about 2" less wind drift at 600 yds which is a big deal in HP.

I am about to place an order for a JP CTR-02 in 223 which I plan on using for fun bench shooting. My questions is how much would be gained by going with a 22" barrel of a 20"?

Thanks

How far out does your range go? If you're going for long range, perhaps 22" could be worth it, but I think anything over 18" is too much. For comparison, the MK12 (a 5.56 "sniper rifle") only has an 18" 1/7 barrel. I think twist is a more important factor, but the 1/8 that comes with the JP should be able to handle 75-77gr BTHPs just fine.