Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Filming training sessions

NExt to you facing you. So you can watch and disect your every right or wrong movement. Who cares about seeing the targets or anything else but your weapons manipulation and transitions to include you feet! Thats what I think if it is for pure training and imporvement purposes.

I think that you first need to know what you are doing wrong, and then need to be able to correct what you are doing wrong to have any helpful feed back from filming. If your not real well grounded in analyzing shooting you may very well come to the wrong conclusions about your shooting. I think I would concentrate more on target results than worrying about filming.

Something that has been helpful to me is the benefit of training with a much better shooter. I video his stage runs, and then mine from the same pov. Compare later and see how he does things differently. When training by myself, I setup the camera to capture all my movements and then run the same stage several times to see the difference in my good stage times vs the bad ones. I send those videos to my mentor to have him critique.

Something that has been helpful to me is the benefit of training with a much better shooter. I video his stage runs, and then mine from the same pov. Compare later and see how he does things differently. When training by myself, I setup the camera to capture all my movements and then run the same stage several times to see the difference in my good stage times vs the bad ones. I send those videos to my mentor to have him critique.

This. I video every time I shoot, and compare it to shooters/pros who are better than me. Conversing with them helps as well. Asking for tips as well.

The best thing to do is to video tape the same drill from mutliple points (the same run or multiple runs). Then you can see which viewpoint gives you what you need. You will also find that the Issues you are looking for will be found at different viewpoints. I load them to YOUTUBE in private mode and then send the links to a couple fo friends who help me with the issues. I find that gross level mistakes are easy for me to see and diagnose but detail level mistakes are often brought out by better shooters.

I use Windows Moviemaker to cut all the fluff out fo the videos.