Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First 3gun DQ, and completely unnecessary!

openclassterror

Well, I finally got my first DQ out of the way.

Stage Started with Pistol empty, 3 knockdowns, 12 silhouettes. Option- discard pistol or re-holster (new 3GN rule allows re-holstering of hot but safe pistol). Transition to Rifle, 4 mini silhouettes, two long-range flashers, 3 squares. Sprint to shotgun table, dump rifle in barrel. Grab shotgun, 3 knockdown plates, Spinner, 7 knockdown plates. All of these are shooter's choice (pistol or shotgun), dump the shotgun in front of spinner if you want to transition back to pistol. Simple enough, right?

I was a little bit un-focused because my 9-year old son was starting his Basketball Championship game in under an hour, and our squad was running behind (I was head R.O.) . My turn to shoot. Stand- by......BEEP! I draw the pistol, rack the slide, red-dot on plate. Pop, down she goes. Pop, pop, pop, everything going one-for-one. HOSE the silhouettes, 4 across, 3 in the shoot house, 5 in the open on the way to the rifle table. I am SCREAMING! As I get to the table, it occurs to me, "gee, I am shooting so well with the pistol, I should keep it for the knockdowns!". Finger clear, muzzle down onto the nub of my beautiful new CR Speed-holster, slap it into the retainer, engage the retention lever. (Shooting an XDm, no safeties to worry about). Grab the rifle, quick doubles on the mini's with the offset red-dot, run for the barricade. Acquire flasher at 150 with my primary optic, pop. Transistion to second target, because break felt good. "HIT!" from the R.O., as I trigger the 250 yard shot. "HIT!" again. Bitchin, I am easily running in first. Double tap the 3 square paper targets as I leave the barricade, sprint for the shotgun. Down a slight decline, I safe my rifle on the way to the dump bucket. Full-on run now, and I bang my rifle magazine against the butt of my pistol as my arms are pumping. THUMP, clatter, I hear in my electronic Ear-Pros as I fly for the barrel. "How did I knock my magazine out?" I thought, as I casually looked back. Hmmm, I didn't realize magazines have gray grip-tape on them. GRIP TAPE?????? OOOHHH CRAP!!!!!!!! as I unlight the afterburners and coast to a stop. The R.O. looks at me, looks at the pistol laying in the dirt, then looks back at me, eyebrows raised. I clear my rifle and ask, "You picking it up, or me?" (I am the head R.O., remember?).

Mistake #1- Did not test the positive retention thoroughly before the match. Have only had the holster one week. Ironically, after regaining possession of my dirty pistol I couldn't get it into the holster without disengaging the retainer lever. I must have REALLY banged into it.

Mistake #2- Didn't stick to my game plan. My Open class shotgun holds 15, and I had a 4rd Speed Stripper on my belt. That's 19 rounds, and only 11 targets beyond the shotgun. Even if the spinner takes me 5 shots (3 more than normal) I have 4 spare rounds on me. I had intended to ditch the pistol in the bucket by the rifle table before my cockiness about my shooting changed my mind.

ONLY GOOD THING about it- Didn't happen at Ironman or the 3GUN Nation regionals I have coming up, only a local club match. Still, it has to be one of the most humbling experiences of my shooting career.......so far! :)

Tom (AKA Openclassterror)

Been there done that. Knocked my pistol loose with the butt of my shotgun on the last stage of SMM3G match. At least I got to shoot the whole match. Live and learn. Check your gear!

Tom, I just got into open and run a Glock 17 with a CR Speed holster. After seeing several guys DQ with various types of holsters including the CR speed and testing mine in every type of condition that I could think of I realized the weak point was the foot and peg that the comp sits on. When moving fast the gun can bounce off the peg and slip out of the trigger lock. I used an extra screw into the foot with a star washer to make sure it cannot move downwards when I put the gun back in and push down on it. I also had a buddy of mine who owns a machine shop make a new peg out of aluminum that is about 1/2" longer so the comp sits completely on the new peg and it can't bounce off. I have now shot a couple of matches with it and tested it every way I can think of and it has not come off. Hope this help, here is a picture of it.

gerritm

post-23808-0-78120700-1395001740_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...