Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much accuracy is needed

3gunyotehtr

How much accuracy is needed for USPSA? The best load I could come up with in my 627 is with 120 truncated cast in 38 short. They will go into 2 1/2" at 25 yards. Five will usually go into 1 1/2. I ordered a roundnose 125 mold hoping that it will shoot ok. The truncated bullets seem to load pretty smooth but I would feel more comfortable with roundnose. I tried 158 grain bullets cast and also Berrys but neither shot very good. Usually between 3 to 4 inches. I was just wondering what kind of accuracy others are getting with 38 short and how much of a disadvantage I would be with the truncated nose.

The pistol, especially when we're talking about revolver where SW is the only gun used, is not a limiting factor on accuracy. Put it out of your mind, the gun needs no other help than being pointed correctly and discharged without disruption.

The level of accuracy (group size) that you have found will be sufficient for USPSA competition. The level of accuracy that you need is "combat" accuracy and not "precision" accuracy. That being said you must be content with the groups that you are getting. I suggest that you look at the target zones and decide if you can keep two shots within the "A" zone (the body mainly and the head if necessary) of a USPSA target in competition.

Edited by Blueridge

A lot depends on skill level. But generally focus on good concentric groups at 25 yds., also learning to shoot good groups at that range even from a bench helps you work on trigger control. If you can get a consistent, concentric 3"@25yds. you're good. Then shoot a little at 50 yds just to see where it hits and how it does.

In USPSA we just don't see a lot of targets past 25 yds. You will on occasion at the more serious matches, or a local one with someone who likes to do the odd stuff.

Most of the shots, especially the difficult ones, are at or less than 15 yds. So get the above 25yd group and then practice head shots at 15 yds.