Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Rest

Kraj

What are you thoughts on thumb Rests? Im new to open and was looking at the SJC thumb rest. Ive never shot an open gun with one so I was planning on shooting a season without one and see how it goes. Is it that big of an advantage?

It is more of personal preference. In general, people will agree that they give you a consistent weak hand grip. Ultimately, training with or without one will get you a consistent grip. Some say they help control recoil, while others will say it throws off dot tracking.

They are relatively cheap and the best answer is to just try one and see if it works for you. I have tried my gun with it on and off and I prefer them. I feel I get a consistent good grip and I have not noticed any effects of it on dot tracking.

Position of TR dictates your grip on the pistol.

GoPedal gives a different grip the traditional thumbs forward style.

I believe a traditional grip that gives a straight up and down dot movement is the best.

If you have strong hands and can really lock the pistol down, a TR may work for you.

Position of TR dictates your grip on the pistol.

GoPedal gives a different grip the traditional thumbs forward style.

I believe a traditional grip that gives a straight up and down dot movement is the best.

If you have strong hands and can really lock the pistol down, a TR may work for you.

Agreed.

I prefer the same basic grip whether it’s a carry, limited or open gun. I’ve tried a couple different types of rests and find the simple Allchin style works best for me in open.

post-18319-0-56627300-1395196592_thumb.jpost-18319-0-71376700-1395196621_thumb.j

I tried one on my new open gun and found myself putting too much pressure on it. I ultimately took it off. I does however give you a consistent reference for your grip.