Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popped a primer, 1050

Torogi

Brass: Winchester, range pick up

Primer: Federal small pistol

y3a2edus.jpg

Its my first time to see such a primer pocket. Crimped primer? I ran it again on the swage but no change, or i need to adjust my swaging station?

I had a ringing ear for about an hour. Wore an ear muff after. Im glad its only 1 after a 2k session.

I think when you decapped you just punched the top off the (spent) primer and the side is still in the primer pocket. That would explain why the primer detonated upon seating, and why swaging won't help.

I've experienced punchng the top off a primer without extracting the side several times this past year. Haven't detonated a primer yet, but then again I don't prime on the downstroke.

It's a ringer. The case most likely got wet and the priming compound welded it to the case. You punched out the end. Sometimes you will feel it with the swage but most times you won't. Just part of the ball game if you don't have your cases processed on a machine.

Replace your blue tip on the primer tube and get back to loading.....

DougC

Ive had a few like that. Only set off 2 like that so far in 10k rounds although I have crushed probably 20-30 that were probably on the verge of going off.

I just toss em in the trash since 9mm range brass is really cheap and or free.

I set off 2 today that were in the primer slide sideways and I was trying to free the machine up and BANG they went off. I peed a little, but besides that, no harm done to myself or the machine.

I've seen this too on WCC brass. I use a ton of this brass and have found that using a Pow'r punch for decapping and actually watching the primer fall into the cup decreases the incidence. If you just pop the primer top off, it makes a smaller "tink" as it hits the cup and dust falls out of the primer pocket. I also inspect the primer pockets after tumbling and the partially removed primer is easy to spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD