Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Second shell catching on load two?

ihocky2

I've been doing some practice with load 2 reloads on my Winchester SX2 and I find that the second shell is always catching on the lip into the mag tube. If I push it down with my thumb I can finish loading it in, but it seems I can't get my hand into the correct position to force it low enough. Is there a way I can ramp or chamfer the opening of the magazine tube without risking the follower not catching? I know I need to practice my technique more, but I would also like to ease the opening a little bit as well.

I don't have experience with the sx2 but in my versa Max the loading port is cut back far enough that the follower is showing. I believe there are other areas for it to catch on and relieving that area for ease of loading does not affect it catching. Maybe someone with an sx2 can chime in. I can send you a picture if you'd like. Let me know

The entrance into the magtube with those guns (FNH included) is very sharp. It needs chamfering all the way around, just a touch up with a high grit cratex bit should do the trick. Polishing the shell catch does wonders as well!!

Hadley O.

Part of the problem is the sx2 load port is way shorter that a versamax. the shells tend to lay flatter when they go in the port. the sx2 has a little kink because of the short loading port. some beveling all around will help a bunch. I put a "notch" in the trigger guard that seems to help a bit. still need to sand and polish it.

Edited by blairmckenzie1

When the first round starts into the tube, you need to use your hand, not just your thumb, to keep the second shell seated in the loading port. The easiest way to do this is flex your fingers backwards (away from the shotgun), which will sort of force the knuckes at the base of your fingers (where the fingers join the hand) into the loading port. As you push forward with your thumb, this extension will keep the second shell pressed hard into the port so that it doesn't lip the magazine tube.

The SX looks a bit like my trusty Browning Gold which also has a shorter loading port.

By the looks of the picture you can take quite a bit more off to make quads easier.