Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy difference between RN/FN coated?

JLeeCZ

I tried doing a thread search but guess I couldn't word it correctly to get a hit. I just received my first order of coated lead bullets to try for 9mm. Getting close to ordering dies/caliber conversion for my 550 to begin .45 handloading. Have some 230 PD FMJ's but would really like to make a lighter coated lead bullet work for me. Thinking of ordering 200 gr .45 but was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a disadvantage(other than feeding) with using the FN(or flat point, oxymoron) as opposed to RN. Thought I remembered reading here that putting the bullet weight center further back with the FN aids a little with stabilizing the bullet.

Edited by JLeeCZ

I've looked at those but wanted to stay away from wadcutters so early in my loading experience. Guess I was wondering why some makers offer flat and round nose of the same bullet weight and why you would choose one over the other. If they are both just as accurate, why not just use the round nose to avoid feeding issue possibilities.

Edited by JLeeCZ

I have never loaded wadcutter's, so I'm curious why you want to stay away from them.

Are they more difficult to load than RN?

I was planning on buying some on my next order. Many have said they are often more accurate than 230 RN. Wilson's match ammo is 200 gr SWC and the one mag full I was able to shoot was impressive.

Edited by ttownracer

230 gr round nose feed in most everything

AND

any good 200 H&G style semi wadcutter will feed at 1.250 COL . Very rarely in a decent gun will they give you problems

5.6 of 231 was a pretty standard load for ipsc for years, you can go lighter now since the PF is lower now

I have never loaded wadcutter's, so I'm curious why you want to stay away from them.

Ignorance, I guess. I've only loaded round nose so far and want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Edited by JLeeCZ

Ignorance, I guess. I've only loaded round nose so far and want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Roger that. If they presented a big challenge compared to RN I wanted to research more before trying them. Only difference I thought was the seeting profile, and i think on my dies i just turn the insert over.

If you're loading for accuracy or just fun shooting, I'll echo the comments to buy 200gr SWCs. For major PF in this sport, go 230gr RN for the slight advantage the greater weight gives you in recoil management.

It's tempting to say the SWC design is a hair more accurate, but I've shot just as many impressive one hole groups with RN 230s as with 200 SWCs. I think SWCs are just permanently associated with accuracy because those who focus on accuracy also enjoy the nice crisp holes. That's the reason I suggest then for accuracy/fun shooting.

That being said, I think Bullseye shooters do shoot SWCs as a rule. It would be great to get a perspective of one of those shooters if we have one lurking about.

I shoot a little Bullseye and all the guys that I shoot with load SWC bullets. I load 185gr S&S bullets. Really have to concentrate on keeping the OAL consistant to keep reliable feeding. They do make very nice clean holes in the paper.

A lot of guns have problems feeding SWC designs such as the XD45 and my Sig P220. Roundnose are their friends. However, a lot of the 200gr roundnose designs were originally for revolver use and come with a large crimping groove to prevent bullet set back in revolver use. I not sure of any negatives for semi-auto use of a bullet with a crimping groove but I migrated to the Precision 200gr RNFP because they don't have the crimp groove, the flat point is pretty small so its almost a roundnose, they are pretty soft but don't lead, and they seem very consistent and accurate when loaded by me. I shot a ton of Missouri Bullet Co.'s bare lead 200gr RNFP's too because they cost less.

Some semi-autos have trouble feeding the 200gr round nose flat point. Some Euro guns can gag on 200gr semi-wadcutters. Other guns will feed them but the OAL has to be perfect.

For consistent feeding in an autoloader, you should try the 200gr round nose semi-wadcutter. I've never had a FTF in my 1911 or my CZ-97 with these bullets.

Here is a picture from the SNS Casting site: http://www.snscasting.com/45-acp-200-grain-round-nose-500ct/

Which is more accurate in your gun? Who knows? Remember, IPSC isn't Bullseye and either one will be accurate enough if you do your job. Go with the most reliable.

As pointed out by Guy Neil, if you place a drawing of an H&G 200 gr LSWC over a drawing of a 230 ball, you will see that it was designed so that the contact points of the two were identical. This lets it feed exactly like a 230 ball bullet. A lot of other LSWCs are not quite the same configuration and may not work anywhere near as well as the H&G 68.

As pointed out by Guy Neil, if you place a drawing of an H&G 200 gr LSWC over a drawing of a 230 ball, you will see that it was designed so that the contact points of the two were identical. This lets it feed exactly like a 230 ball bullet. A lot of other LSWCs are not quite the same configuration and may not work anywhere near as well as the H&G 68.

How do I identify a SWC as the original H&G 68 design? They all look the same to me. I checked a couple of the coated bullet sites.

http://www.snscasting.com/45-acp-200-grain-semi-wad-cutter-coated-1000ct/

Edited by JLeeCZ

I'd consider the 225 grain flat point from xtreme bullets for competition. I shot semi wad cutters for a while and the hole they leave is very easy to see during shooting. The round nose, not so much. With the slight weight difference I am inclined to switch to them but I haven't had time money or POWDER to test them. I would consider making them closer to 1.200" overall length just like factory hollow points for feeding reliability and maybe slightly higher velocity compared to the 230s. I wouldn't even worry about the barrel feed ramp at that length.

• 2 months later...

Thread is a little dated but Jim at SNS confirmed they use the H&G 68 mold for their coated 200 gr coated SWC. Got a birthday coming up and kids are giving me BE gift certs that I am going to use for caliber conversion for my 550b. Will order 500 200gr and see how I do. Thanks and may get back to you when I start loading.

I shoot 45 very little. but have tried 185 JFN. Had some feed problems. These were Freedom reloads. I've since been reloading my own, and gone to 230 RN without a single issue. The only thing I can think of is the ramp on a 1911 is steep. And a shorter OAL could allow the round to stick. Or maybe not.