Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need shotgun: M2 vs 1301

Booyakasha

I bought a new 24" M2 w/ Comfortech a year ago for $1,050. Since then I've added a longer mag tube, clamp, oversized safety, oversized bolt release, new front sight, had the port widened/smoothed, had the grip/forearm stippled, had the lifter welded and added a Match-Saver. All told, I had to spend over $400 extra to get it up to snuff. It is now a bad-ass beast for 3-Gun and I can't imagine using anything else.

That said, if I were in the same place today as I was a year ago when I started 3-gun I'd probably find a deal on the 1301 Comp, add a tube and call it good.

I have to admit I am a M2 homer. I love m M2 so much that if I had to choose between it or a 2011.......I don't know which I would choose. I have read other people saying that he SLP was softer, but I didn't think so. Of course, I should have paid more attention with ammo comparison. I would love to try the 1301 and if all other things were equal and the 1301 shot slugs better, I would probably go with it.....just based off what I have read here. But, it will have to be one fine SG for me to switch.

I don't know if this matters....but I haven't seem the manufacturer of the 1301 support 3-gun or USPA too much. Please correct me if I am wrong as I haven't been to many matches the last 24 months.

I don't know if this matters....but I haven't seem the manufacturer of the 1301 support 3-gun or USPA too much. Please correct me if I am wrong as I haven't been to many matches the last 24 months.

Maybe producing this gun in this configuration is the first step???

They were at FNH last year....they let us fire the new 1301

I have both shotguns and I do like the 1301, but I think I am going to trade it away as I have a lot of money in my M2. Not enough advantage to start with the 1301 for me. I wanted to experiment with the KO stock as I have a A400 with KO that I like, but I have no issues with recoil. Maybe I will get so good that someday I will consistently outrun the inertia system, but I am not sure how close science is to adding functional wings to pigs yet.....

I have both. I like the 1301 better for the following reasons:

- More real estate on the forearm to hold on to. The texture on both the forearm and the pistol grip portion of the stock is also very aggressive. It reminds me of my VZ operator II grips on my 1911. It'll be nice for those hot sweaty summer days.

- After a drop shim change, the mid bead and front bead line up perfectly and my slugs are hitting POA at 50 yards (and grouping nicely at that.) I have a lot of trouble hitting accurately with my M2.

- Very light

- Very fast on the trigger

- The 1301 seems to eat everything I've thrown at it where my M2 does not like cheap Wal-Mart ammo.

- It shares the same chokes as my A400 Xtreme

The 1301 is just the new kid on the block. 18 months ago this would be a versamax thread and everyone was googoo for it too.

The Benelli is the standard by which all other are judged. That should tell you something. It also only "needs" a $80 extension... The rest is tinkering. The 1301 is a solid gun, but the jury is still out until after a season of people trying to break them IMO.

The one verses the other recoil arguments are all bs IMO. I've shot them all. They feel different as all guns do...but if you have good technique none of them have much recoil...and if not, any shotgun is going to kick you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is ONLY new to the USA, its been shot heavily overseas, where they do shoot real practical shotgun....so the waiting for a verdict from the jury has been in for about a year now. It works and it wins, everything else you said was spot on!!

Trapr