Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Trickling Out Of Measure

I'm having a small problem with powder (H110) trickling out of the powder mearsure on my550B. I have narrowed it down to the powder is sticking in the steel tube that is pressed into the aluminum powder measure body. The steel tube has small ridges on the inside and is not smooth by any means causing flakes of the fine H110 powder to hang up in there then fall out onto the shellplate from vibration. Its not a huge deal but the flakes get into my primer cup causing a dent in the primer unless I blow it off every 20 or so rounds.

Is this something that is just accepted and is "normal" ?

Why is the inside of the steel tube not smooth? There must be a reason.

Dont polish anything, I actually completely disagree with Steve on this. Please follow the link for an official response from Dillon about this same exact issue. I did this, and i have never had any powder spillage happen since. You may need to copy and paste the link, i dont seem to have the ability to paste a link.

"It sounds like the powder flakes are sliding between the powder bar and spacer. Put a piece of tape on top of the spacer bar to shim it down a few thousandths."

http://www.dillonprecision.com/Leaking_Powder_Measure-98-11-1069.htm

Already took care of that part, dillon actually sent me some new thicker bars and it helped alot.

A few flakes of powder trickler out of the powerder funnel after I lower the ram, I can see it happen, this happens because the vibration from operating the press causes a few flakes that were hung up in there to fall. If you look at the inside of your powder funnel and the steel tube above the powder funnel they are both very rough on the inside, this is where the powder is hanging up then falling from vibration.

My question is how do I smooth up the inside of these two parts, polishing at this point won't work because its way to rough and its very difficult to get in there.

Take yours apart and look at it, I bet its the same, I don't know why they manufacture them like this?

Take a small drill bit, one that is absolutely smaller diameter than the opening of the tube. Wrap a little fine grade steel wool around the drill bit and using an electric drill slide it in and out of the tube. It will polish up beautifully. Just be careful that the steel wool covers the bit so only the steel wool touches the material. Also flush it afterwards so no grit remains.

All my powder funnels insides are horribly full of machine marks. I polish everything I could on my 650 but the inside of these powder funnels I cannot figure out how to get these tool marks out either. I'll try the Steel wool tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having the same issue using H-110 as I am reloading for 300 Blackout. Over the weekend, I swapped out the small powder measure for the large powder measure on my 550. Problem went away! I had read on several forum sites including other posts here about this idea. I had no problems getting down to the 18+ gr load for my recipe.