Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm/38 llama

tires2burn

My buddy just inherited a pistol and wants me to load him up some ammo. I checked out the web on this gun & its from 1938 or so. We took it to the gun shop & they said it was in very good condition. The barrel reads

9mm largo/38, so I ordered some new largo brass from Star Brass. The load data is kinda sketchy for this 9mm largo so wondered if anybody had some tried & proven load data. I'm going to go with Rainier plated 115 RN,

5.5gr HP38. with OAL of 1.300. Any info will help. Thanks

Somebody has to know something. Come on guys.

9 Largo is the same case as a 38 super. start at the lowest pressure book load, Llamas are famous for soft steel metallurgy.

I was wondering how long a largo was since 5.5 grains of HP38/231 seemed like a lot. I only run 4.2 in 9mm at 1.13.

It seems there's not much interest in this 9mm Largo. I went to the range and sent 10 rounds without a hitch. I used 5 gr HP-38,115 Rainier RN with OAL of 1.3. They seemed on the light side but according to the info I could find, the old guns aren't built for a lot of pressure. All 10 shots at 25 ft grouped in at 3". Every round cycled perfect and I had zero problems. I think I could powder up to 5.5 with no worries but there is no need to so will stay where I'm at. Thanks

Sierra has 9mm Largo Data.

For their 115 grain jacketed bullets the max load is 6.0 grains with 231 (HP-38) for 1300 fps. OAL RN = 1.280", OAL JHP = 1.250". Test gun was a Star Super with a 5.150" barrel.

Thanks Dude, I don't have a Sierra book and if you do can you give me the starting load and fps. I wasn't to far off on the OAL but don't want to take a chance on pressure. I would like to get in the 1100 fps range. Don't have a crono so its kinda guess work. Thanks

Thanks Dude, I loaded 6 at 5.5 and 1.310. They worked ok but still light. I think its the OAL. I reduced 6 more to 5.4 and 1.290 OAL. This is my final load. They were accurate and felt good. The grouping got tighter so I'm happy.

Edited by tires2burn