Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Rifle Comp by Computer Simulation

Meat Target

I"m sure your design will work well. It may need some top holes but I'm also sure your testing will figure it out.

Just make sure accuracy doesn't suffer. Some brake designs can have a negative effect.

Nick

Instead of holes I thinned out the top section of the first port to generate the down force kind of like the Miculek comp, just works out to be a little more efficient that way. Still need to do a lot more testing with it to see if there are any problems, but so far for the fist version it seems to be working out ok.

topviewredux.jpg

• 2 months later...

I know this wouldn't really change the function but I think radiusing the front instead of making it have 3 flats surfaces would look pretty cool and probably take the same amount of time to make with a CNC

edit: nevermind, just reread first post and see you are using a manual mill. This did give me an idea though, have you tried curved blast surfaces with the simulation? Perhaps it would be more effective as you can use different conics and such. I am thinking it might actually be easier to run in the manual mill after you setup a rotary table (probably could not do aspheres) but I do not have much experience with using rotary tables myself so I do not know for sure.

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

I know this wouldn't really change the function but I think radiusing the front instead of making it have 3 flats surfaces would look pretty cool and probably take the same amount of time to make with a CNC

edit: nevermind, just reread first post and see you are using a manual mill. This did give me an idea though, have you tried curved blast surfaces with the simulation? Perhaps it would be more effective as you can use different conics and such. I am thinking it might actually be easier to run in the manual mill after you setup a rotary table (probably could not do aspheres) but I do not have much experience with using rotary tables myself so I do not know for sure.

One of the first designs I started on had conical surfaces for a full 360deg with stand-off posts keeping the spacing between the baffles. Its about the most efficient design you can do but I scrapped it because of the need to shoot prone. The amount of dirt it would kick up would suck big time so I went to the more conventional design.

Using curved surfaces would make it a little more efficient but probably not to the extent that you would notice the difference. I did look at ways to machine it using a rotary table but its just way easier to make with flat baffles. If I ever get a CNC mill it would be much easier to try out the more complex designs.

Edited by Meat Target

• 2 months later...