Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 short colt 1050 loaders

alecmc

Figure I put this here for the actual revolver guys to see, apologies for the wrong section.

Got my new super 1050 in today. ordered it in 38 special.

I figure that i'd have this machine dedicated to 38 special and 38 short colt, leave the bottom half of the machine alone, and just change out tool heads between specials and short colts.

But, i'm having an issue with the short colts feeding into the shell plate. They topple over and dont go into the groove. Looks like they dont fall down all the way... ideas? specials work fine.

Any idea?

Including a short video :

video 1 ( only had a few cases in the tube in this one )

2nd video

( loaded whole tube up this time, brings one into the shell plate, but also pulls the one above it )

Edited by alecmc

For the short colts, you're going to need the 9mm colored plastic case feed tube (the piece that fits in the top of the feeder, that the tube fits into). I'm using 22mm brass, and I had to go with the .40 feed tube. The machine has to know what length the brass is, or it gets all pissed off.

And also, I'm using Federal brass only, with a new 38 shell plate, and 1 in 75 of the case heads is too thick to fit in the shell plate so I'm tossing them as I run into them in this 1st pass on the brass.

holler back if it works/don't work and we'll figure it out.

And also, I'm using Federal brass only, with a new 38 shell plate, and 1 in 75 of the case heads is too thick to fit in the shell plate so I'm tossing them as I run into them in this 1st pass on the brass.

im noticing that too. Whats with that ? Are the tolerences in the 1050 shell plate that much tighter ?

Im starting to figure a new case feed tube thing is in order, I'll have to call dillon up in the morning and order it.

I use the green case feed adapter in the 1050 for Short Colts. Dillon part number 13878. It's the same one that you would use for 9mm, 38 Super and .40 S&W. For the top side the new style case feeder funnel that is cone shaped works so much better than the old rectangular style. With the new style there is no need to insert that adapter for small cartridges anymore.

I also use the medium case feed plunger (that part that feeds the shell from the tube to the shell plate)

Edited by Gregg K

im noticing that too. Whats with that ? Are the tolerences in the 1050 shell plate that much tighter ?

Out of 1000 cut down Federal 38spl cases, I had 13 that wouldn't fit in the 1050 shell plate. They slide right in a Lee single stage holder. On the other side of that coin, the case heads on those 13 are definitly thicker, so maybe it's a blessing, and now there is no chance of a thick case head dragging on the recoil plate? Yep, that's what I'm going with.

hmmm, i've got mixed brass at the moment, i've only loaded about 100 rounds , and I had to stop 2 or 3 times because of the federal brass not fitting in the shell plate.

thanks for the heads up

• 2 weeks later...

In this revolver business there is always something new - sometimes good and sometimes bad.

Trying to get loaded up for Alabama and just finished fighting some more Fed brass thru the 1050 shell plate. Out of 500 rounds, 15 (previously loaded) jammed in the plate. I finally decided to mike the rim cuts and they are .054. Looking at my Winchester load manual, they list the rim at .058.

Looks like I'll be having a conversation with Dillon in the morning.

For caution, I checked the Hornady reload book, again it lists 38 rims at .058. And 357's at .060.

Called Dillon today and passed on my experiences.

They said they would send a new shell plate tomorrow, with shipping label to return the original.

These guys are a total delight to deal with!

Got the new shell plate today for the 1050/38. The old one was .054, new one .058. Out of 40 cases that wouldn't feed into the old plate, all but 2 fed into the new plate. Plus there was a LOT of the original 1st loading that had a lot of drag feeding on the first pass. They should feed with no issues from now on. Hard to beat Dillon for loading.

In case you were wondering, put 2 feeler guage strips together to check the case head cut. .030 and .028

• 2 months later...