Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Rail Kit

B.J. Norris

I'm thinking hard about getting into 3-gun, was looking at an AWB Rock River CAR A4 with a weaver style gas block and free float tube. I like the look of the JPoint mounted on the handguard, but I was wondering if the JP Rail Kit fit on a Rock River free float tube or if there any that do? Also, is a comp or muzzle brake easily installed on an AWB compliant barrel?

Rock River is good stuff. Now that the ban is gone I would get a mid-length gas port carbine with a stainless threaded barrel and a flat top. I would not get there match trigger, instead a Accuracy speaks, JP or McCormick single stage triggers. Free float tube 2 inch diameter then the JP sight will mount on the tube with no problem.

Even if you have to buy parts and assemble yourself, It is no problem with AR.

IMHO Armalite and RockRiver are first rate with Bushmaster and DPMS not as good. Now you can build a better rifle by getting a custom barrel and trip through Brownells will leave you amazed.

IPSC G-34,

I haven’t seen Rock River sponsoring at any major 3 gun match that I have been to over the last 3-4 years (and I have been to a few). I have seen JP Rifles, Triangle Shooting Sports, DPMS and Cavalry Arms supplying lots of support at ALL of those matches.

All of them also sponsor shooters and provide much more than just prize table goods to our sport. Please consider one of these fine manufacturers of competition grade AR-15 type rifles before you put your money into circulation.

Edited to include Armalite.

--

Regards,

Edited by George

BJ,

I will echo what everyone was saying with respect to finding a gun through one of our sponsors. At the same time I am building an AR right now. They are almost as easy to build as a glock :D Seriously though you can build a gun with the features you want pretty easily and for so much less than the manufacturers'. If not Benny is one of the most reasonable with respect to cost. Good luck with 3 gun you will be hooked in no time at all. If you think open guns are spendy, 3 gun is a whole new way to separate you from your funds.

Take care, Craig

BJ,

I just put an AR together like you are considering. My gunsmith had the threaded barrel ready the day after I dropped it off to him, so I guess it's easy with a lathe. Look at the Yankee Hill free float tubes instead of the RRA. The "customizable" one can be canted easliy and can take rails wherever you want them. I thought it was cheap compared to the JPs and other vented ones too. I also really like their two piece weaver style gas block.

http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store.html

(I think I saw some guy with a Yankee Hill Team hat at A7, so they might support the sport in some way)

Steve

Hey IPSC G34,

BTW, if you are thinking customized competition grade AR’s cost an arm and a leg, try talking to Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports. You will be more than pleasantly surprised when you do. And you will get a lot more for your bucks than any combination of different mfgr’s parts and a build-it yourself schema will ever provide unless you are already good at it. Building and customizing yourself is a good learning experience, but not a good starting step.

If this is your first foray into AR’s, do yourself a big favor and get one from someone who will help you make the right decisions, Benny will. Get one from someone who will spend your money well and provide great support after the purchase, Benny will. Get one from someone who won’t require any after purchase support because it just plain works, Benny again.

Need I say more.

Benny is too modest to say it himself ;-), but you really should call him up before you go any further on your journey into AR Town. I cannot recommend this step enough compared to any other option you are hearing here.

If you have a bigger pocketbook, go the JP Rifles route, you will not be disappointed there either and they will also guide you right if you call just them up and talk about what you want.

Working with a custom shop like this is a much more personalized approach than buying from a company like BM RRA, etc. IMHO it will also bring much better results in the long run too. You may hear a few disagreeing with me, but you will find many, many more agreeing.

--

Regards,

Well, if we are going to demand that BJ support people that support the sport, all Benny's going to do for BJ is build him an AR using RRA upper and lower. So much for that plan.

Will I be excluded from matches in 2005 because I show up with a Colt? Is that a FTDR?

IPSC G34, I don't think we were even close to answering your question:

1) The JP rail is made for JP tube, but it will mount on any free float tube. It comes with a threaded backing plate made for the JP tube slots so might not be suitable for std free float tube, but would still work just not as easy to install.

2) Not sure what you mean by AWB compliant barrel, but I'm presuming that it is "naked", remove the barrel and get it threaded for 1/2"-28 (most commonly used pattern for AR.)

With regards to buying specific brand/supplier/vendor, my attitude is - Buy what you can afford and what will return the most RELIABLE BANGS for the bucks. Have fun!

My point on using a custom smith built route for your first AR if you are wanting something good and versatile is that you will get a well built rifle outa the gate that will not have you chafing for more in a few years. Even if Benny uses a RRA lower you will get a well setup JP trigger and quite a few little and big things done right to start with. His comp works great and it will get mounted for you. He headspaces the rifle properly and the chamber cut is going to be good for accuracy and reliability.

If you have it set up with iron sights you will not have to fiddle around with matching the riser heights yourself (real PITA). He does a complete package for barely over what a rifle with less great features costs from most mfgrs. His recommendations on bbl weight, profile and optic selection will also get you off in a good groove to start. Same at JP rifles.

I got my first competition purposed AR back in 1989 two years after I bought an outa’ the box Colt HBAR. I had it built up from various assemblies by a local smith who knew them better than me. I listened to him and was happy with it for over ten years and 20k. Didn’t cost much more than a stocker would have and it ran and ran and ran. Still does.

To fully address the two original questions:

1. A JP rail kit can be mounted on anything that can be drilled and/or tapped. You may have to get longer, or shorter screws and any handguard that is carbon fiber is gonna be a PITA to do it on comparatively. Be advised that the JPoint will put the rifle into Open unless the main sights are Iron in which case it would fall into Tactical. Better option is Tactical legal iron sights on handguard (JP makes them) and a versatile optic choice up on the rail.

2. Comp can be mounted at home, but it is much better to have it put on by at least an AR certified armorer, or by a good custom shop and get a nicely machined job to boot (it is real, real hard to find the seam on my JP).

--

Regards,

Edited by George

I would love to get a JP. However, it’s pretty hard to get the funds to buy one at when you're 15. I was considering the RRA because it affordable for me (I can most likely get dealer price on one), and they offer the options I want from the factory so I don't have to mess with it much. We will be moving to East TX soon, and I was planning on taking the rifle over to Clark Custom and having one of Jerry's comps put on the rifle.

Are there any reliability problems with the two-stage triggers? I like the take-up on the NM triggers since its alot more like my Pro Sx trigger.