Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running in mud

joakim

Shot a small local match last weekend. Snow has melted but the range was very wet and we were warned that good footware was needed. I used trail running shoes with socks/feets in plastic bags in case it would be really wet.. and it was..

Did my last stage as the second to last competitor, stage had turned to mud. The stage was a 8 yard run to one side and pick up the empty gun, load and then shoot ~8 targets while going back to the start position.

After signal i ran over, picked up the gun, loaded, shot one shot, mag fell out, I tried to catch the mag but lost it, attempted to pick it up but it was dirty so I picked the next mag on my belt and continued shooting. Then a quick movement to the next target and I stepped out of my right shoe that was stuck in the mud. Did the rest of the stage slipping around in the mud in my sock.. Ended up second to last on that stage, 25s should have been ~18s, 5/13 overall.

Lessons:

1. Tie shoes tight when running in mud.

2. Learn to load a gun.

3. Don't try to pick up dropped magazines.

4. Learn to focus and ignore distractions.

Unfortunately no video :)

Edited by joakim

As an MD, I always try and keep the weather conditions in mind when laying out stages. About half of our 6 ranges lend themselves to stages that can be involve a lot of moving. This is fine when things are dry and our ranges used to dry out quickly, but some changes last year have resulted slower drying.

We've yet to have a problem such as you describe, but it's possible. My main concern in situations like that is safety. If the range conditions are such that shooters may not have safe footing, I'd be very tempted to either call the match off or pull a particular stage.

... I used trail running shoes with socks/feets in plastic bags in case it would be really wet.. and it was..

.... Then a quick movement to the next target and I stepped out of my right shoe that was stuck in the mud.

The plastic bag might have been the issue - that will be a super slick surface inside the shoe, that's probably why your foot ejected out of the shoe out so easily? Maybe #5 skip the bag next time.

This time of year, and under the conditions you describe, I only take one type of foot ware . . . 2 pairs of Rocky hunting boots. My bow season boots have 400 grams of Thinsulate and my winter boots contain 1,200 grams of Thinsulate. 100% waterproof and, of course, great tread.

Here in Alaska our concern is more about slippery conditions. Had a guy during three gun slip backwards while moving with a loaded, off-safe, shotgun. The collective gasp as he didn't break the 180 AND had his finger on the receiver was great...we adjusted the stage for no movement after that.