Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major-Minor switching due to equipment failure

mcb

So say your at a big match shooting away with your Minor Revolver and some part breaks, badly. Obviously they score that particular stage as it was shot (with any and all Misses and FTEs) but now you can't go on unless you have a backup revolver. But what if that "backup" revolver is your Major revolver. How would you be scored for the rest of the stages? Would you be Minor-6 despite now Major ammo? What if you had started with Major and wanted to switch to your Minor due to an equipment failure? Would this be allowed? Would all you stages then become minor? Would you be limited to 6rds for some strange reason?

Scenario 1: You're staying minor, as declared, assuming your ammo makes at least 125 p.f. when you run back through chrono.

Scenario 2: You will need to re-chrono, and if your ammo only makes minor, you are scored minor for all stages, whether already shot or not. You will be limited to 6 rounds between reloads because you declared major. If you forget and fire a 7th round without reloading, you get moved to Open.

Big match, or little match--doesn't matter. Assumes approval of R.M.

That makes sense except the limited to 6 shots in Scenario 2. If I was shooting Limited and my Limited Major gun broke and I switch to my Limited Minor gun I would still be allowed to fill my Limited Minor mags to full capacity (not nerfed to my Limited Major capacity). Why would you not be allowed to use the full rule set for Minor Revolver when switching? It seems no advantage would be gain since any advantage gained by 8-shot Minor switch would be offset by the Minor scoring penalty to the already shot 6-shot stages.

I assume Scenario 2 would hold for someone switching from Major SS to Minor SS?

MCB, LIM is limited by magazine size not capacity so there is no correlation there. Revolver is limited by capacity. The same would go for shooting SS as well. Minor gun breaks you finish the match with your major gun limited to 8 rounds provided you hit 125PF.

MCB, LIM is limited by magazine size not capacity so there is no correlation there. Revolver is limited by capacity. The same would go for shooting SS as well. Minor gun breaks you finish the match with your major gun limited to 8 rounds provided you hit 125PF.

It seem silly (and overly complicated) to limit someone that started Major and had to switch to Minor (due to equipment failure) to Major capacity (Rev or SS) since ALL of their stages will be scored Minor. They are already taking a scoring penalty (to all their Major shot stages) for the switch why then artificially limit capacity after the switch. It also will cause scoring difficulties. If a competitor has to switch from Major to Minor how will the RO's in the stages after the switch know that this one Minor shooter has to reload after 6 shots?

Edited by mcb

It seem silly (and overly complicated) to limit someone that started Major and had to switch to Minor (due to equipment failure) to Major capacity (Rev or SS) after the switch since all of his stages will be scored Minor. They are already taking a scoring penalty (to all there Major shot stages) for the switch why then artificially limit capacity after the switch. It also will cause scoring difficulties. If a competitor has to switch from Major to Minor how will the RO's in the stages after the switch know that this one Minor shooter has to reload after 6 shots?

You can always shoot major pf loads out of your eight shot revolver and reload after six.

It also will cause scoring difficulties. If a competitor has to switch from Major to Minor how will the RO's in the stages after the switch know that this one Minor shooter has to reload after 6 shots?

That's the job of the RM......

I'd ask for your scoresheets or labels and make the appropriate notations, so they could be referred to, as well as informing the staff of stages you had not yet shot.....

Every RO I've met can count to 6 or 8, they've had practice counting all the way to 11...... :D

It also will cause scoring difficulties. If a competitor has to switch from Major to Minor how will the RO's in the stages after the switch know that this one Minor shooter has to reload after 6 shots?

I'd ask for your scoresheets or labels and make the appropriate notations, so they could be referred to, as well as informing the staff of stages you had not yet shot.....

Every RO I've met can count to 6 or 8, they've had practice counting all the way to 11...... :D

How would it be done in PS?

Not questioning the RO's ability to count (I am an RO too), but if a Revolver shooter walks up to the start position and the RO gives the, "Make Ready" command and they unholster an 8-shot Minor revolver the RO is going to assume 8 shots then reload. The score sheet is going to have to "scream" at the RO and Scorer that this shooter is a unusually 6-shot minor shooter using an 8-shot gun or it never even going to get notices. As stated that is the job of the RM when he grants your equipment change request but it still seem unnecessary given the penalty you are already receiving for the change simply due to the Major to Minor scoring.

That said rules is rules. If that is the way they are interpreted so be it.

The score sheet is going to have to "scream" at the RO and Scorer that this shooter is a unusually 6-shot minor shooter using an 8-shot gun or it never even going to get notices.

At a Major match with labeled scoresheets, the clipboard RO should announce the competitor's name, division, and for Revo and SS the Major/Minor status, as the shooter approaches/steps into the box. That's the only way the stage staff will know how to do their job.....

That's just a best practice....

At a local with embedded staff it's easier.....