Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

700X and 147 Xtreme?

JLeeCZ

I found some 700X and bought some. But I bought way to much, not sure why. Think it was a panic buy. I thought about keeping it until I start reloading .45 but going to use it now. I realize it's not the ideal powder for 9mm but heard that some like it. I have some PD 147 FMJ and some 147 plated to experiment with. Curious how it will meter through my RL550. 3.0 grains is not much of a powder drop so plan on being careful not to double charge. Anyone have experience with this load?

I bought 2 8lb containers. 16 freakin lbs. Let's see- that's 32,000 rounds at 3.5gr per load? I'll never use all of it. Don't know what I was thinking. Guess someday I can leave what's left to my sons.

Edited by JLeeCZ

3 grains of 700X with the X-treme 147 PRN loaded to 1.145 worked well for me. For minor that's all you will ever need.

+1 for this. I used another plated bullet but everything else is very similar with good results, had to work up a tiny bit so it would cycle my xdm.

• 4 weeks later...

When in doubt, consult a verified source. The 2014 Hodgdon Annual Manual gives the following information about 700-X from a 4" barrel with Win cases and CCI 500 small pistol primers.

124gr Berry's bullet - Start 3.7gr, max 4.2gr , estimated 1,068 fps 33,400 psi.

147gr Hornady XTP - Start 2.6gr, max 2.9gr, 838 fps, 32,000 fps.

IIRC, Hornady XTPs have brass jackets. Gilding metal jackets sometimes give about 50 fps more with the same loads. 3.1gr or so is probably your max load.

Enjoy shooting the rest of your 700-X.

Chris

IIRC, Hornady XTPs have brass jackets. Gilding metal jackets sometimes give about 50 fps more with the same loads. 3.1gr or so is probably your max load.

You have mentioned that before and I responded that time as well. Hornady XTPs have copper jackets.