Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SureFire multigun Match

Craig that was one of the reasons Pete went with total time, ease of score comparison.

Chuck, why do you think there were so many penalties at this match? I know some I heard about how some were forgetting how static steel needed 2 hits on the ironman stage. I also saw a lot of FTEs. I don't know the root cause, but I have a couple guesses.

Jim, it was good shooting and working with you too.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guesswork on my part but the length of the match is part. 15 stages in two and a half days is a lot to cram in. We also changed the order of stages a lot. Never really knowing what stage we would shoot next. It required a level of mental flexibility that isn't usually tested in most matches.

Guesswork on my part but the length of the match is part. 15 stages in two and a half days is a lot to cram in. We also changed the order of stages a lot. Never really knowing what stage we would shoot next. It required a level of mental flexibility that isn't usually tested in most matches.

I think Chuck is spot on with that analysis. The what stage is next dance starting getting to me on saturday, which is the day I had a bunch of penelities.

Edited by Mbauer67

I can see how that would affect some peoples games. I know stage 13 required single hits on static steel, while 7 needed 2 hits. Other than that, most of the targets followed the same rules. Still there was 1 DQ on stage 1 when a person shot a rectangle steel 36 yards away with their rifle. I don't know if they felt rushed since they were the first shooter of their squad or if they did not hear the walkthrough.

I do know that I like to walk the stages I am going to shoot the day before and with the changes in schedules that would make it difficult. The printed schedule in the match book was pretty much tossed by the end of the first day. In the end it is just a lot of shooting in a short period of time and so penalties may stack faster than normal.

Edited by ziebart

Looking over the penalties assessed in the match, it appears to me that the most consistent spread of penalties are on stage 7, with stage 9 close behind for TacOps.

I would venture to bet that a big chunk of those stage 9 penalties were due to the pistol spinner. For stage 7, I don't think it would have mattered if it was the first stage of the first day or the last stage of the last day when you have rifle targets pushing 500 yards, a rifle spinner, offhand rifle plate rack, flipped clays, 24 birdshot and 4 slugs, a bunch of rifle and pistol paper, and instructions on shooting pistol steel challenge gongs different than how we shot everywhere else. It was big, complex, and you had several opportunities to forget something or drop a shot. I incurred 50 seconds in penalties there...10 for a missed clay and 40 for not shooting the pistol plates twice each. The first 10sec was taking a chance and I had all four flipped clays in the air at one time....the last 40 seconds was simply forgetting a step at the end of a good run.

I do see some 30-60 second penalties assessed on other stages, but not consistently across the board like stages 7 and 9. A squib, running past targets, forgetting a clay behind a barrel,....those penalties are common at any match.

As for total time vs stage points.....I'm mixed. If this match were stage points, the little 3GN bays would have been worth the same amount as the giant ironman stage, meaning each individual of the 20 targets on one short stage are each worth more than the plethora of targets on big stage with tons of targets and targets out to distance. If you weight the stages, I don't think you really change it much from total time because the big stage is still worth more than the little one. With total time, you could be hanging top 5-10 in the match on all of the small stages and fall apart on the ironman stage, potentially adding 245 seconds plus penalties to the raw time I had on that stage.

The nice thing about it being total time is that i could write my stage times down and tally them up at the end of the match without ever looking online at the match website and know what my total time should be, make a quick comparison to the official results at the end, and know if they are right or not. With the way everyone was shooting similar stages each day, it would be easy to know where you were placing compared to your friends too. I personally either had a cellphone on airplane mode, or dead, the entire match, so I never had a chance to check anything other than "how'd you do on stage X" then compare my time to that shooter's.