Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Savage 110 build on a budget?

Nebwake

I have an older (non accutrigger) 110 FP in .308. The barrel is about done in it and it needs (I want) a new trigger. I have shot a jewel on my buddies 700, but really don't want to fork over the cash for one. It also has the horrendous factory stock on it, but I did a bedding job, but it still sucks. so here is my question to you guys. I want to turn this into a highly accurate dual purpose target and hunting rifle. I would like to re barrel (possibly re caliber, I was thinking .260 rem), re stock and re trigger, plus get a new bolt handle. What would you guys recommend? (think best bang for the buck) thanks!

Also, I have an older Nikon Monarch 4-16 on it, which I like for hunting, and will probably just repurpose it onto a light bbl 30-06, but would like something with target turrets. So what would you recommend for a decent scope with mils?

You didnt quite give what your definition of "budget" is.. or what you're hunting or what kind of target shooting you want to do, but here goes.

Criterion, Mcgowen or Shilen Barrel

Stockade Prairie dog money saver stock

Triggers... You can't get a Jewel for Savages, so don't worry about forking over the cash for one. I would say a Rifle Basics, but if you have the 3-screw trigger, it can be made very nice with a little work. Jard also makes one, and so does SSS

Caliber? What are you hunting? Do you reload? 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 would fit the bill for most things you listed. Being a long action, maybe a .260AI, but you would have to reload for sure on that caliber.

For a Mil/Mil scope, Vortex PST or Bushnell Elite are both under $1000 for FFP and have target turrets and all the tacticool stuff.

Sorry that I don't have any information to provide. Just this past week I've decided to look seriously at trying a long range match or two this year.

But, I'm very interested in what other eventually will say in this thread.

Have you considered 6mm/.243 cartridge choices? I'm looking at 6mm Creedmoor and 243 Winchester as well as 260 Rem and 6.5mm Creedmoor.

Do you reload? I don't but think I may have to for precision rifle.

Do you have a larger caliber gas gun, also?

I do reload and just grabbed a red single stage press and trimmer (although it doesn't match the rest of the blue on my bench). But that in itself is nice for de-priming so I can keep the 550b cleaner.

• Thanks DWFAN, Budget is negotiable, but I would like the keep the gun around $500ish and $1000ish for the scope.
  • Hunting includes Whitetail deer and the occasional coyote. Those stocks do look nice for the $$.
  • What do you mean the 3 screw trigger? it that the (old style) factory? it really isn't that bad, although it does have a bit of creep.
  • What length of barrel would you recommend for .260?

And no I don't have a large caliber gas gun, just .223

Edited by Nebwake

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't want to change cal. take time and make sure your barrel is really clean. Some times people don't really get the barrel clean. I have a old savage 110 in .223 with over 18,000 rounds down the tube and an inch and a half of the throat burned out but it shoots as accurately as the day I got the gun. Worst case is you could buy a new savage, dollar for dollar you won't buy a more accurate gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I just rebarreled my first Savage. So I have faced some of the same issues. I chose an ER Shaw 6.5 creedmoor barrel from Gun Shack. Not the best but fit my budget and needs. If you are contemplating switching stocks the short action 110s are quite tough to come by (I owned a 110 in 223) as are one piece scope mounts. You would be money ahead to sell your rifle as is and buy a more recent short action sporter with 4.40 inch screw spacing as a donor gun. If you are happy just swapping barrels I would keep your current rifle. FYI my project is a model 11 with factory DBM from a pawnshop. After selling the takeoff 7mm08 barrel and weaver scope I should have about $100 in the action and stock. I think you would love a 6.5 of any sort!

• 2 weeks later...