Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 MGM Ironman

Sorry for being so slow on this. Got a lot going on.... If you shot the match the last couple of years you should have received a preregistration notice. If you got this, I need your check by the 2nd of February. If you didn't get a notification, you'll need to sign up for general registration. That was scheduled for the 5th and 6th, but I'm postponing it until the 11th at 18:00 for the OLHOT match and 12th at 18:00 for the ST match. Both of these are MST time.

It's gonna be pretty much the same deal as last year. OLHOT the 8-10 and ST the 12-14. We've already got lots of great sponsors signed up and it's shaping up to be a great match. Should have stage descriptions coming out in the next couple of months. Round count will be about the same as in years past....300 rifle, 300 pistol, 300 sg, 80 slugs, some LR bonus targets and some stage guns.
I'm trying to do the website myself and I'm sure you can all figure out how well that is going for me based on my never ending patience and acceptance of the digital age. On that note, if anyone wants a free entry and knows how to do websites, let me know and we'll see if we can work something out.

Updates will be more regular on the mgm ironman fb page. thanks and if you have any quesitons, contact me at bigcheeze@mgmironman.com

adios,

tg

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only in regards to scoring and bonus targets. our goal is to not have anyone going negative on scores this year. That was my bad. When we have all the COF's done, we'll all meet and assign appropriate bonus values to targets. If you're talking about something else, lmk. as far as stages go, probably not. Same old good fun you're used to seeing at ironman!!

adios,

tg

Hello, just wondering about the LR bonus targets, These are not taken with your normal gun? so I should plan on packing a long range gun or are there stage guns for that? And If I want to shoot OLHOT on the 8th-10th, Prize table will be on the 10th? Just didn't want to hang out for the rest of the week......

Hello, just wondering about the LR bonus targets, These are not taken with your normal gun? so I should plan on packing a long range gun or are there stage guns for that? And If I want to shoot OLHOT on the 8th-10th, Prize table will be on the 10th? Just didn't want to hang out for the rest of the week......

Your choice on the LR targets. They've allowed you to take them with your regular AR if you think you can hit them (Many people do), or you can bring your own LR gun. They don't have stage guns for the LR targets. There are separate prize tables for each match. The prize table will be on the last day of each match. Shoot the first one and you won't have to stick around for the second.

• 2 weeks later...

When the match registration opens, you'll need to use one of these two links. Registration opens the 11th at 18:00 for the olhot match and the 12th at 18:00 for the ST match.
https://clubs.practiscore.com/2014-mgm-ironman-olhot/register
https://clubs.practiscore.com/2014-mgm-ironman-tactical-optics/register

adios,

tg

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.mgmironman.com/index.php/rules

From section 5 at the link above:

5. Firearms Classifications

FOR THE MGM IRONMAN, WE'LL USE THE FOLLOWING EQUIPMENT CLASSIFICATIONS

• Open Class - Anything goes
  • Limited Class - No magnified optics, speed loaders, or bipods. Non magnified red dot scopes will be allowed in this class.
  • Scoped Tactical - One piece of magnified glass on rifle. No bi-pods or comps over 3" in length or 1" in dia.
  • Heavy Optics - Exactly the same as Scoped Tactical, but you have to use a .30 cal or larger rifle.

Thanks Travis, I was just confused because below that it says:

5.4.4 Non-Magnified red dot scopes will be allowed in Limited class and will be scored with the iron sighted shooters.

I just didn't know if this was further calcification that a non magnified optic had to be a red dot reflex sight of some sort.

I guess since a 1x20 scope is non magnified it is fine.

Dave

Just got approved for trooper class, I was on the wait list.

I have a few questions,

Email was very simple and said, "2014 MGM Ironman OLHOT registration approved,We have received your registration as a paid shooter. Thanks." How do I pay? Do we send a check or can we pay on line?

So basically we Carry all of our gear, from stage to stage, drop our gear and shoot the stage? How far do we walk from stage to stage?

I'm thinking of bringing a 9mm suppressed sub-gun, let's say a stage has all steel pistol targets I engage them with the sub-gun and not carry the pistol for the stage?

Can you bring a AR, shotgun, sub-gun, with you on one stage?

Can you sling hot?

Can you stage your guns?

The sub-gun is very quiet if the stage ends with it, can/will the RO tap the timer to show my time when I raise my hand ( normal procedure in sub-gun matches when timer will not pick up the shot.) if a RO will not do this it will not show the correct time.

Thanks for your help, looking forward to the match

Edited by Finbox

I have a few questions,

Email was very simple and said, "2014 MGM Ironman OLHOT registration approved,We have received your registration as a paid shooter. Thanks." How do I pay? Do we send a check or can we pay on line?

So basically we Carry all of our gear, from stage to stage, drop our gear and shoot the stage? How far do we walk from stage to stage?

I'm thinking of bringing a 9mm suppressed sub-gun, let's say a stage has all steel pistol targets I engage them with the sub-gun and not carry the pistol for the stage?

Can you sling hot?

Can you stage your guns?

The sub-gun is very quiet if the stage ends with it, can/will the RO tap the timer to show my time when I raise my hand ( normal procedure in sub-gun matches when timer will not pick up the shot.) if a RO will not do this it will not show the correct time.

I'm not doing this match but normally this is the case for rifle stages.....So the sub gun may not be used here??? Thinking a sub gun would still be classified as a rifle....

3.3 Rifle ammunition shall be .223 Remington (5.56 NATO) or larger.

I have a few questions,

Can you sling hot?

Can you stage your guns?

Trooper is no joke, better read up.

http://www.mgmironman.com/index.php/rules/trooper-class-rules

You have to carry everything you will use or leave it in your ammo can. If you are completely finished with a gun you have to declare that you are abandoning it and carry it back to the trooper shed before ditching it. Once you abandon a weapon, it is done for the match. You can shoot a PCC for rifle or pistol targets but the timer thing will be your major problem and not make RO's happy.

You also can't have anyone else help you with problems or you are out of trooper class and shooting the match for fun if you used a PCC. If you didn't shoot a PCC you will bump to open. Health and safety are the only things that you can have help on.

You also need to leave all your weapons in the trooper shed at the range ( except for your silenced sub gun).

We alway need more people beating themselves up. Of course Tyler Payne likes to show off and run with his gear from stage to stage. The distances are not that far from stage to stage. It just seems far carrying all those shotgun rounds.

Thanks for all the replies, after reading some peoples write ups of trooper class and saying its "no joke or hard" I thought you would have to run from stage to stage and hike some extra trials/distance to stress you out.

As a avid hiker JMT, PCT, AT. I thought it was more like what we did in the ARMY, a military carry all your gear fight your way in fight your way out, time based on your firing and movement between stages.

But now I'm finding out its the same thing i do at every other match but with 10lbs more ammo on me.

I carry everything in my bag now and never use a cart, sling both long guns and bring a cooler and a chair and walk from stage to stage with it at local/major matches.

So if I have my backpack loaded with days worth of ammo, 1 liter of water, cleaning kit. Pistol in holster, carry AR, shotgun is slung and casually walk from stage to stage, I'm good to go? If so I'm going to bring my chair as well!:) and for this they provide lunch and I can have any capacity mags I choose and optics galore! Sounds like a deal to me.

So in a nutshell Trooper class is you can't use a cart and have to carry a days worth of ammo. And leave the rest of your ammo in your ammo can.

Edited by Finbox

They will make you case your guns from stage to stage.

You can keep your gun holstered from stage to stage but if it falls on the ground you will go home. Weird stuff happens at ironman

They will make you case your guns from stage to stage.

You can keep your gun holstered from stage to stage but if it falls on the ground you will go home. Weird stuff happens at ironman

Did they change the rules or does just trooper class have to case their weapons?

From the rules it would look like its better to not bring a case.

Rules

1.4 Rifles & Shotguns, (carry from vehicle or between stages)

1.4.1 Rifles & shotguns must be cased or carried slung with the muzzle up. If you take a long gun in a case to the stage, have the courtesy to be sure it is NOT pointed at anyone when it comes out of the case. Anyone too dumb and inconsiderate to do this correctly WILL be DQ'ed. Come to the firing line ready to load. DO NOT BRING CASED GUNS TO THE SH0OTING LINE. This is going to be a fast paced match, and the RO's will not have time to accommodate bagging and unbagging.

Edited by Finbox

Thanks for all the replies, after reading some peoples write ups of trooper class and saying its "no joke or hard" I thought you would have to run from stage to stage and hike some extra trials/distance to stress you out.

As a avid hiker JMT, PCT, AT. I thought it was more like what we did in the ARMY, a military carry all your gear fight your way in fight your way out, time based on your firing and movement between stages.

But now I'm finding out its the same thing i do at every other match but with 10lbs more ammo on me.

I carry everything in my bag now and never use a cart, sling both long guns and bring a cooler and a chair and walk from stage to stage with it at local/major matches.

So if I have my backpack loaded with days worth of ammo, 1 liter of water, cleaning kit. Pistol in holster, carry AR, shotgun is slung and casually walk from stage to stage, I'm good to go? If so I'm going to bring my chair as well! :) and for this they provide lunch and I can have any capacity mags I choose and optics galore! Sounds like a deal to me.

So in a nutshell Trooper class is you can't use a cart and have to carry a days worth of ammo. And leave the rest of your ammo in your ammo can.

You have to carry all the ammo that doesn't fit in the ammo can. Believe me, it is going to be more than one days worth.

It's hella fun

BTW, one day of Ironnman ammo is about the same as any single 3 day 3 gun match. You will not be able to store two days of ammo in the ammo can so the first day the load will be a lot more. They also switched to a smaller can this year. There is no getting extra ammo from the car so you need to plan for extra shots and the occasional, but rare, Ironman reshoot. Plan on carrying more than a case of shotgun ammo. You'll probably end up having to hump 300 rounds or so the first day in addition to all the rifle and pistol ammo. The weight adds up quick. The first year I shot I think I was packing about 150 pounds on the start of the first stage. And take all the rifle and pistol ammo out of the packaging and store it in big ziplock bags. The packaging takes up a ton of space and you'll have a lot more room in your staging can if you store it that way.