Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How does the case feeder work on a 550b?

There is a camming device attached to the ram that moves the brass to the shell plate. Much like the primer setup. It only works for pistol ammo, i.e. short stuff. No rifle at all, so if you need to load rifle ammo, you have to remove a large part of the feeder to do that.

Alan~^~

There is a camming device attached to the ram that moves the brass to the shell plate. Much like the primer setup. It only works for pistol ammo, i.e. short stuff. No rifle at all, so if you need to load rifle ammo, you have to remove a large part of the feeder to do that.

Alan~^~

Yesterday I loaded 100 rds of .223 on my casefeeder equipped 550, and am headed out to the garage to load more. Sizing and de-priming is done on my single stage press, then over to the Super Swage. After that, into the 550 case hopper. Slight modifications to the machine will allow the casefeeder to work.

Alan~^~

Yesterday I loaded 100 rds of .223 on my casefeeder equipped 550, and am headed out to the garage to load more. Sizing and de-priming is done on my single stage press, then over to the Super Swage. After that, into the 550 case hopper. Slight modifications to the machine will allow the casefeeder to work.

Can you post pictures of the mod? With the mod does it still feed pistol cases?

I purchases the case feeder about two months ago and loaded 4k of 9mm and 2k of 45. The only issue I had was 380 cases mixed in with my 9 causing the feeder not to feed case. I batch load for the year in the winter so removing it once a year isn't a big deal to me, but I do plan to modify it to accept 223 cases (which is well documented on these forums).

In the end, a 650 might not have been a bad idea, but I still occasional load 100 of a random caliber and the 550 is hard to beat for that.

It is interesting you mention .380, I have had a lot of it mixed in with the last batch of 9 brass I was running and even if I don't catch it before I run the handle up I can easily tell it upon sizing and just pluck it out and set it aside. I wondered how easy it was to get to a case you want to snatch back out.

Just got the .380 plate for the shell sorter. Works pretty good but had to make some little legs to

hold the .380 plate up a little higher above the 9mm tray. Used four 1/4 in bolts and double nuts.

Before the .380 tray I would take a cardboard box and three factory ammunition trays. Put two in the

box then pour brass over the trays then shake a little to get the cases in the factory tray. The trays with square sides work best. Won't matter if you fill the cases or if some go in the wrong way up your just inspecting.

Inspect the open end for chigger bites [cupped marks on the edge] trash in the case, splits etc. Place the third tray over the one with cases in it, use it like a primer flip tray then remove and inspect

the other side for swage marks, Military cases, have a smaller volume or any others you may reject.

This also works well getting .357 out of 38 Special or small primed 45ACP from large primed 45ACP.

With a case feeder the process runs smoother but you don't have the hands on feel to catch wrong sized cases. May take a little time but it's well worth the effort when your running.

May be off the subject a little but will help once you load with a case feeder.

I load 223, 30-30, 30-06, and 460 S&W Mag on my 550 and I run all of that brass through the casefeeder. It doesn't work perfect, but it beats switching the press back to manual feed.

I have photos and a description on Calguns. Look at post 12 at this link: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=853844

Pistol brass runs great and I use the stock cam for that. I use my own cam for rifle brass.