Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder to make Major PF With S&W 625 JM 4"

ZackJones

I went to the range today and found out my load of 4.5g of Trail Boss doesn't come close to making major PF. According to the Lee manual I should have been in the 760 FPS neighborhood which have given me a 174 PF. I thought for sure I'd get something that would at least meet the 165 PF and I didn't come close. The highest reading I got from a string of 6 shots was 678. Shooting a 230g bayou bullet that gives me a PF of 155. I know you can't go by the books but damn almost 100 FPS seems way off to me.

I have some Bullseye and Red Dot on hand so I'm going to try working up loads with them. I know Clays is the generally accepted go to powder but I can't find it. I've been reading good things about e3 as well but I can't find that either. If you know of a powder that you've used in the past that makes major with a 230g bullet I'd appreciate knowing what you used. Thanks in advance for any advice you can pass along.

I use 230 gr bayou bullets with Clays powder

3.6 grains - 4.0 grains will get you there.

I've been using :

230gr Bayou Bullet

3.6 gr clays

1.20" OAL

Made 174 PF @ Area 8 out of my 5" last year.

( edit, sorry - just read you couldnt find clays --- Do you have any 231 or Hp38 ? )

Edited by alecmc

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to hit the 3 gun shops around here that I know carry powder and see what's available. If there's nothing on the shelves I'll just order some e3 from 3rd Generation. That's where I bought my Trail Boss powder.

Trail Boss is great, especially for .38 Special loads. After reading several posts about e3 for .40 and .45 ACP I've decided to give it a try and have powder on order. I briefly toyed with the idea of just loading Trail Boss and shooting minor but decided against that. Thanks for the feedback everyone!