Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR roller cam pin install w/o removing gas key - sweet!

DonovanM

In the interest of reducing the drag of your BCG in the upper as much as possible - especially with low mass systems and adjustable gas blocks - this is a pretty cool little gadget. Noticeable difference, especially at the end of the travel when the bolt locks.

Normally you would have to remove your gas key to install one, but I had Fred at CaR Firearms do his bolt and carrier mod to avoid that. Highly recommended.

995020_612294668818851_674614226_n.jpg

I have been running these POF roller cam pins for about 3 years now and really like them. As Donovan stated they do change seem to reduce drag and therefore the recoil impulse. So far no failures or issues. I do use the relieved gas key that comes with the kit.

Not awake yet today... I meant to say they do seem to reduce drag and therefore change the recoil impulse...

Jeff

Edited by JWS_61

Do you find that it reduces wear on the body of the cam pin or this that about the same as a normal cam pin.

I have been wondering about these for awhile but didn't get any response from POF when I wanted to know how much for an upgrade package for my POF.

Nick

Can you post a pic of the cut he made please. I'm pretty sure I can handle it with hand files or a dremel. ;)

Here it is from the other side. He said he also mods the bolt itself, not sure exactly how though. You'd have to ask him.

1511602_612294685485516_327913084_n.jpg

Do you find that it reduces wear on the body of the cam pin or this that about the same as a normal cam pin.

I have been wondering about these for awhile but didn't get any response from POF when I wanted to know how much for an upgrade package for my POF.

Nick

Probably much less wear on the body of the pin due to less of the force of the bolt slamming into battery being transmitted from the cam pin's interaction with the upper receiver. And also, if anything, the wear on the body of the pin is harder to see because of the hard chrome coating (the roller is NP3 plated).

The more I think about it, the more I like it!

Solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Not exactly a problem. I consider it an incremental improvement.

People spend thousands of dollars to get that "on rails" feeling in their pistols, when I think it's a bit more critical of an application in a rifle, so why not pursue it, especially when it's so inexpensive?

I'm a gear queer. I'd like to try one. Coupled with a JP silent silky smooth buffer my AR might feel like my 2011 finally.

Fred has that exact setup in a DD rifle - JP LMOS, roller cam pin, silent captured buffer. It's pretty wicked. I think the Hiperfire trigger in there also offers less rolling resistance (after the initial push) due to the design of the hammer and the spring tension. The only real "drag" you feel are the gas rings.

Edited by DonovanM

I use the POF roller cam pin kit when I built BCGs for the .450 Bushmaster. There is a significant reduction in wear. On a .223, it does feel different, but there is so little wear, not a huge benefit.