Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice: New 2011 Build

SufferInSilence

I want to start up a new 2011 build.

It would pretty much be a zombie / tact-cool, Home-D or CCW build.

I know a bit of what I want:

STI tactical frame

Tri topped slide 4", sight tracker style, fixed rear sights, Butler cut

What advice can you guys give me?

I figured asking some people that have gone the DIY way before could save me a lot of heartache.

Thanks!

I thought I wanted something similar until I spoke directly with one of the pro's on here. He advised against a sight tracker. He said when the cut is made in the slide it allows the area where the the barrel contacts during lock up to flex, causing inconsistent lock up and potentially hurting accuracy. He said: if I wanted a sight tracker, he could build it but felt a conventional bull barrel would be a better choice. Just thought I would pass along what I was told...

I thought I wanted something similar until I spoke directly with one of the pro's on here. He advised against a sight tracker. He said when the cut is made in the slide it allows the area where the the barrel contacts during lock up to flex, causing inconsistent lock up and potentially hurting accuracy. He said: if I wanted a sight tracker, he could build it but felt a conventional bull barrel would be a better choice. Just thought I would pass along what I was told...

I would have to call bull on that one. There are way too many shooters using various types of sight tracker pistols for that to be a real issue. I can certainly tell you that my two are dead nuts accurate with good ammo. However, since he's wanting this to be a zombie gun, a heavier slide would probably be a good idea so it will keep running even after it's coated with zombie blood and guts! :roflol:

I would probably build it in 9mm (because I did) for the capacity and availability of ammo.

I would have to call bull on that one. There are way too many shooters using various types of sight tracker pistols for that to be a real issue. I can certainly tell you that my two are dead nuts accurate with good ammo. However, since he's wanting this to be a zombie gun, a heavier slide would probably be a good idea so it will keep running even after it's coated with zombie blood and guts! :roflol:

I would probably build it in 9mm (because I did) for the capacity and availability of ammo.

I have been told sight trackers loose accuracy quickly too. Do you have any sight tracker pistols that have more than 10000 rounds on them? My friend has one, but he does not have very many rounds through it.

Personally no, my 9mm only has a couple thousand through it. It's my duty gun. My new 5.4 LImited gun has less than 1K. Surely somebody reading this has a high mileage one...Taran shoots Infinity Sight Trackers and you know his have thousands of rounds through them. Most of our GM Team guys shoot Open. And come to think of it, most if not every IMM Open gun has a hybrid barrel in it...so the concept is the same. If they lost their accuracy, I'd think we would have heard about that before. Of course I'm talking about billet Infinity slides and frames.

If it's going to be HD or zombie, why go shorter slide? I get it with ccw, but if you're not going to carry it, go big! Better sight radius and some weight out front.

If sight trackers lose accuracy, why not do one of those builds where the front site is on a comp without holes? That's a style I've seen, but have no idea what it's called

I think those were called pin buster or something like that. I was going to build one, but it would not be legal for limited in 3-gun. I was told it would be considered an extended sight. I have been thinking about a 5.4" sight tracker barrel in a 5" slide, or a cz tac sport.

Edited by bmiller

I wasn't trying to start a war. I know people have them and love them, I thought it's what I wanted also. I was just sharing what I was told by one of this forum's supporting vendors when I contacted them about building a custom 2011 for carry. I still haven't owned a sight tracker personally and would most likely not shoot tens of thousands of rounds through it, if I did. Feel free to disregard my contribution and go with what you know from experience or advice from those with more experience (than me).

i built a 4.25" with a hybrid barrel,infinity slide and para ord p13 frame. i have several thousand rounds through it and no loss of accuracy whatsoever. i also have on order a svi carry high cap with a hybrid barrel....i have heard or seen no issues with the hybrid barrels losing accuracy. i guess if you had a subpar material slide maybe.....

• 1 month later...

I have had a SVI 5" sight tracker for about 8 years and 25,000 rounds and it was still dead on accurate but the barrel cracked right at the rib where it meets the slide. I sent it in to Infinity and the barrel was replaced on my dime with the new style hybrid barrel. Of course according to Brandon there was not a design problem but I have read a lot of people have had the same problem with Infinity AET barrels. I had them replace the AET barrel with the standard barrel and the gun is like new tight and accurate. As far as a sight tracker vs standard bull barrel I can honestly say I can not see any advantage, I can change to my single stack or production gun and not notice a difference in sight aquisition or tracking. The sight tracker looks cool but I doubt my next limited gun will have one.

Common sense fellows.

the best in the world tend to shoot sight tracker guns, you know those grand master guys and masters in uspsa.

Dan Bedell considered to be the best or at least one of the best builders for the pro's in uspsa doesn't say anything about his sight trackers losing accuracy. I'm with SV-COP on this one I call "BULL"

but I would go conventional slide on a fun gun/ CCW/home defense like the OP said he wanted to build

now lets help (maybe)

Contact some one like Bob Serva at fusion and talk to him he can give you an idea what a frame slide barrel assy. that is fitted will cost. there are lots of other guys too, so do your research and figure who you want to use. I've used Bob and not had any problems FWIW

I think Ganns's guns still has a list ,on his website, of a parts list. Which if you've never built a gun before that is a great help so you don't forget stuff and have to keep ordering little things and paying extra shipping.

Good fortune with the build and go slow and put the dremel tool away