Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do I need to know to fit a BarSto barrel to my 5.25?

chevyoneton

I had posted a while back about .40 to 9mm conversion barrels for the 5.25. It seems like a subject none of the big hitters in the XDm market really want to converse about for some reason or another.

I put EFK Firedragon 9mm conversion barrels into about five different autos..... and my XD was the only one where the barrel did not drop in and work right. I had to send the slide to EFK and they fitted a new barrel for me. The said that they had problems dropping in barrels for the XDs. Edited by bountyhunter

To the OP, I hope you are joking when you say grinding. I use a mill, lathe and stones, they are much more precise than a file. Some people are really talented with files though. If you can't make a piece of metal dead square, I wouldn't suggest filing on a barrel. If you don't really understand how to fit it and don't want to buy Barsto's fitting video (or get the info from another reliable source,) I would suggest sending it to someone who knows how to fit the barrel, otherwise it may be a very expensive venture. Many people don't understand how to fit metal parts and don't know how to account for break-in when fitting.

I had posted a while back about .40 to 9mm conversion barrels for the 5.25. It seems like a subject none of the big hitters in the XDm market really want to converse about for some reason or another.

I don't suggest using them. There are too many dimensional differences in the rounds to work as reliably as I want without modifications to the extractor, which are not easy to get spares of.

I don't suggest using them. There are too many dimensional differences in the rounds to work as reliably as I want without modifications to the extractor, which are not easy to get spares of.
+1 I fitted a 9mm conversion on my XD and it did not extract 100% because the extractor has so little range of travel. I had to modify an extractor to get it to work right.

Yes I was kidding about grinding. I have the services of a very competent Gunsmith but he has not done this work before. The reason I decided on doing a conversion barrel for my 5.25 was becasue of the good experiences I have had with a Stormlake conversion barrel in my .40 4.5 XDm and an EFK conversion barrel in my 3.8 XDm. Both of those were drop in and work 100%. I was unaware of the video, and have no problem purchasing it. Thanks for mentioning it.

• 2 months later...