Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortening a wooden SG buttstock

chp5

Don't know if this thread belongs in the Gunsmithing section or here, but here it goes.

I'd like to shorten my pump shotgun buttstock (wooden) about 1". Any tips on the best way to do this and then how to fit the buttpad to the shortened stock?

Actually, the buttstock without the buttpad is about the right length for me, but I don't have anyting to cover the bare end of the woodend stock.

Thanks for any ideas.

Are we talking an 870 w/o anything in the buttstock (I have limited experience with other shotguns).

If so, I'd think that a saw and beltsander would be the best things, then a drill for pilot holes for the screws.

As far as the pad, get one of the Simms that can be sanded down from Brownell's, wrap a couple of layers of duct tape around the wood and use a Dremel or that belt sander at a VERY slow speed to take the excess off of the sides of the pad.

Shortening a stock and putting a pad on it is one of those home gunsmithing jobs that look easy, and you only ever do one of them once you find out what it entails.

First, shortening the stock. If you get the angle wrong, you can change the pitch, and end up with a stock that either slides off your shoulder, or jumps up and smacks you in the face on each shot.

You can almost never re-use the old pad. The screws invariably end up in the wrong places on the new back of the buttstock. You need the next size smaller from Brownells.

You want a big belt sander, a new belt, and a high speed. Too slow, or dull, and it grabs the rubber rather than cut it. If you're luccky it will only be "grabby" enough to tear the edges of the pad. If you're unlucky it will snatch the stock out of your hands. You also use the belt sander to sand the newly-sawn buttstock, before you apply some kind of sealer to keep the wood from warping when it gets wet.

Use masking tape, not duct tape. Two layers, and use a colored marker on the top layer. When the belt sander starts cutting color off, exposing fresh tape, you're close.

Wear a mask. All this sanding will fill the air (and your lungs, if you don't wear a mask) with wood and rubber dust.

I fitted pads on stocks for almost twenty years, (after the shoeshop that did the fitting before for me, went out of business) and hated it. I got to the point where I'd do them only after I had enough to warrant the hassle, and then do them all in an afternoon. Then tried (in vain) to clean up the dust all over everything. Obviously, do the work after lunch.

I hope I convinced you to take it to a professional.

Thanks Patrick.

The stock without the buttpad is about the right length. I wonder if I can just get a flat buttplate (no pad) and put it over the end of the buttstock.

It would still be the correct length, but no pad. It is a Winchester 1300.

All of Patrick's cautions apply, but...

Shortening a stock and fitting a buttpad is not rocket science. You just need to be careful and have plenty of patience. I did my first job using a radial arm saw to cut the stock and a portable belt sander clamped into my bench vise to fit the pad. Came out nice.

I have since acquired better tools that make the job easier, but they don't come out any better.

The most critical part is cutting the stock parallel to the existing face.

I don't know what the going rate is for have having it done professionally, but for me it means the difference between havin a new buttpad or not having one.

Thanks Patrick.

The stock without the buttpad is about the right length. I wonder if I can just get a flat buttplate (no pad) and put it over the end of the buttstock.

It would still be the correct length, but no pad. It is a Winchester 1300.

have you ever shot a 12ga pump with no pad on it? its not very fun unless your wearing several layers of clothing. Can you say, ouch?! :blink: